PDA

View Full Version : white film on elodea

snapdragon9
03-10-2008, 10:20 PM
I have been trying to understand keeping plants in freshwater aquariums generally by trial and error. I am somewhat familiar with the mechanics of plant development and growth in the fishtank, but haven't been able to replicate basic web info at home.

I have a 20L, using a 30 gal. light with a light, (not too upscale GE) that says it provides a better spectrum for plant growth. The tank has cycled, its aerated with an airstone and has plenty of filtration going on. I had lilaeopsis and elodea planted in sand/pea-size gravel, and I've noted that after a while the plants don't die right away, they get a white film that tends to string off the plants...what is the cause of this?

And if anyone could post/sticky a walkthrough for keeping freshwater plants, what are the specifics of having a beautiful planted tank; covering all the bases that would be great...because my mistakes are costing me money!! Thanks.

Dave66
03-10-2008, 10:25 PM
The white stuff is a biofilm on the leaves. Happens all the time in newer lightly planted tanks. If you go here: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/plants/ and scroll down, there are four things I've written in on how to keep stem plants, bulb plants, Cryptocoryne plants and Sword Plants. They should tell you all you need to know.

Dave

snapdragon9
03-10-2008, 11:17 PM
Thanks a bunch, will definitly check it out!

siymdapolio
03-11-2008, 06:19 PM
I was in your seat a while ago, if it some type of film and then starts to shoot of the plant like hair. When i found it on my elodea i went to the LFS immedietly and asked them what i was doing wrong. They told me i was overfeeding to much and the excess amount of food helped thrive this type of algea and reside on plants and eventually start growing out instead of that film. He said if you have had it for a while it will stick like glue and just throw the plants out and if is just in the early stages you can rub it off.
Cut down on feeding!
If it wasnt the biofilm...

snapdragon9
03-17-2008, 04:15 AM
No it just got worse and I threw it out. I do have to reconfigure my feeding regimine, I have a diverse tank with diverse appetites.:hmm3grin2orange: