PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal behaviour for a GBR?

LosC
03-10-2008, 05:18 PM
My GBR stays at the bottom of my tank but occassionally comes up halfway, he's actively swimming though. He's always picking at the gravel looking for food. I'm having trouble feeding him because he doesn't come to the surface and w/e sinks; my corys get or my lightning fast tetras get. Is he starving? How do you guys feed your GBR's? what should I do?

sailor
03-10-2008, 05:44 PM
My Gbr's are all over the tank. Activity everywhere. How long have you had them. If only a couple of days they are probably still getting used to the tank and new surroundings. I am feeding NLS small fish sinking formula for now until mine get bigger.

Incredulous_Ed
03-10-2008, 06:10 PM
What temp is the tank at? He sounds a little shy, but otherwise healthy.

LosC
03-10-2008, 09:38 PM
I've had him for 2 days and my tank temp is at 79-80F. How should I feed him? I have brine shimp pebbles, tubifex cubes, freeze-dried bloodworms and Cichlid pellets. Like I said, the problem is he can't get to the food that floats and when food goes near him it's usualy eaten by my tetras or Corys. He seems very hungry, I just caught him with one of my Corys sinking wafers

Incredulous_Ed
03-11-2008, 06:06 PM
Raise the temp to 82. They only do good at higher temps. A good food is New life spectrum. Any sinking variety will be good for him. The pellets sink fast enough so that he will get a chance at eating them.

LosC
03-11-2008, 06:52 PM
Wouldn't 82F stress out my Tetra's and Corys? I coulndt find small sinking pellets for my GBR at the lfs I was at today, except for these. African Cichlid sinking pellet fish food "Attack" by HBH.

Would they be good for my GBR? I understand they're for africans but is there a harmful difference?

http://www.petco.com/product/13065/HBH-African-Cichlid-Attack-Sinking-Pellet-Food.aspx

DCguy
03-12-2008, 02:46 PM
1. If you have only had the fish a couple of days I wouldn't worry if he is not eating as they can easily go a week or two without any harm.

2. If he gets hungry enough he will discover that the food is on the surface.

3. In my experience Rams love to pick at the substrate and I try to feed a variety of sinking pellets to mine. They don't have to be any specific type and the ones you got should be fine. You only need to be concerned about the brand if you only feed one type of food all the time. I keep a half dozen different types of pellets on hand and vary them to the fish. Any sinking pellets will also be eaten by your corys.

4. 80 F is the lowest end of where you should keep these. You are correct that proper ram temps (82 - 84F) would stress your other fish. All you can do is find a temp that they will all do OK at and I would suggest 80. I have successfully kept and bred them at this temp.

5. One final thought, do you know if this is a wild fish? In the wild they spend their time sifting the sand on the bottom of the water. They are by nature a bottom dwelling fish and spend most of their time there. Wild fish in particular avoid the water surface as this is where they are most vulnerable to birds and other terrestrial predators.

DCguy

LosC
03-12-2008, 05:29 PM
thanks alot DCGuy. I'm not sure if hes wild or domestic but I will call the lfs I got him from and ask.

Incredulous_Ed
03-12-2008, 07:40 PM
He is most likely domestic. I dont think 82 would stress the other fish. I have had tetras at 86 with no ill effects. Or, you coud get cardinal tetras instead. They appreciate the higher temps required by rams. As for the food, I would just feed then New life spectrum exclusevly. They will be healthier that way.