PDA

View Full Version : hard water and plants?

dustinpedley
03-10-2008, 03:25 PM
well i just found out my water is very hard at about GH300. i was gonna place a plant order on tuesday for my 55gal thats been cycling for a while. but will my plants be ok? here is what im ordering:

-Dwarf Baby Tears
(Hemianthus callitrichoides)
-Dwarf Hairgrass
(Eleocharis acicularis
-Indian Red Sword
(Echinodorus 'Indian Red')
-Java Fern
-Water Sprite
(Ceratopteris thalictroides)
-Variegated Japanese Dwarf Rush
(Acorus variegatus)
-Amazon Sword Plant
(Echinodorus amazonicus)
-Myrio - Red
(Myriophyllum heterophyllum)

i think that that was all.

smaug
03-10-2008, 06:06 PM
The plants you have on that list will not thrive under such a high GH,more importantly is your kH,do you have a test for that?More suitable plants for hard water are java fern and moss.Anubias can do ok as well.Onions,bacopa and crispus are also good choices.With hard water avoid amazon speciaes all together they will cause you nothing but headaches,

angelcakes
03-10-2008, 06:10 PM
i would suggest anubias,slow growers but good plants :19:

digital3
03-10-2008, 06:16 PM
Those Dwarf Baby Tears (Hemianthus callitrichoides) will require high light and Co2 injection.

Lady Hobbs
03-10-2008, 06:31 PM
The plants you have on that list will not thrive under such a high GH,more importantly is your kH,do you have a test for that?More suitable plants for hard water are java fern and moss.Anubias can do ok as well.Onions,bacopa and crispus are also good choices. With hard water avoid amazon speciaes all together they will cause you nothing but headaches,

I knew it and have been saying that all along. My amazons stink and my water is very hard.

dustinpedley
03-10-2008, 09:05 PM
The plants you have on that list will not thrive under such a high GH,more importantly is your kH,do you have a test for that?More suitable plants for hard water are java fern and moss.Anubias can do ok as well.Onions,bacopa and crispus are also good choices.With hard water avoid amazon speciaes all together they will cause you nothing but headaches,

thanks well its back to the old drawling board, im bound to get this tank set up some time

smaug
03-10-2008, 09:11 PM
good luck with your plants and your tank.

dustinpedley
03-10-2008, 09:14 PM
thanks for the help

smaug
03-10-2008, 09:15 PM
thanks for the help
you are welcome,keep us posted with the results,and dont forget we all love pics.

dustinpedley
03-10-2008, 09:31 PM
well im still gonna get the ones that i can get for hard water. they have at-least two-dozen large tanks with different plants, and ill see what they have that they will recommend for such hard water.