PDA

View Full Version : DIY Hood

squirt_12
03-09-2008, 05:02 PM
Ok so I am thinking of setting up a pico or nano tank (not really sure yet) and I don't have a hood for the tank that I woud get. (I have a few tanks but can get one by itself cheap) I would like to have a hood for the tank. It doesn't have to be attached the the actual tank. It could just sit there on top. I just want the piece that the light sits in and shoot the light down into the tank. I would want to have 2 of these (http://www.petmountain.com/product/bulbs/504286/coralife-50-50-mini-compact-fluorescent-bulbs.html) in the hood. (It would either be 10w or 20w bulbs. Just depends on the size of tank I get. suggestions??)
I don't have to have a switch but it would be nice. lol.
I would like the hood to be roughly (L x W x H) 18" x 4.5" x 4" (this way it will fit on any tank that i chose. lol.)

I have no idea how to build one so I thought that I would come here and ask you guys how to build one.

If I am missing some number or something please tell me.

Thanks.

YankyTexan
03-09-2008, 05:24 PM
When it comes to DIY, to a degree, you are limited by what tools either you own or have access to. Do you have access to a saw, router and drill? Do you feel comfortable operating them?

You wouldn't necessarily need all of them but it sure would help and improve your results.

Based upon your response I will respond with a potential solution.

Daniel

Rue
03-09-2008, 05:28 PM
I'm not sure what you mean...you can buy glass tops for most tanks...or you can see if you can find the plastic thingy (don't know what it's called) that lets the glass top bend (to service the tank for feedings) and then have glass cut to fit...

Alternately, you could just have a sheet of glass on top that doesn't have the bendy plastic...and just glue some 'handles' on it and lift the entire thing on and off...

squirt_12
03-09-2008, 05:29 PM
Yeah I have all of them. I can work them and I am comfortable working then but I could always get someone in my family to help me.

squirt_12
03-09-2008, 05:31 PM
I'm not sure what you mean...you can buy glass tops for most tanks...or you can see if you can find the plastic thingy (don't know what it's called) that lets the glass top bend (to service the tank for feedings) and then have glass cut to fit...

Alternately, you could just have a sheet of glass on top that doesn't have the bendy plastic...and just glue some 'handles' on it and lift the entire thing on and off...
hmm.....yeah you brought up a good point. I actually didn't think of that. I would probably get a piece of glass cut for the tank. or it would be open top. If it is open then there has to be something covering the lights so that they don't get wet.

EDIT - but I can probably get a tank with a plastic or glass cover already.

Rue
03-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Yes, you can certainly go open...but I don't like it...increases evaporation, not to mention critters jump/crawl out...

And if you do get a pre-made lid, made sure it can handle the heat of whatever lighting you have...the ones for FW won't necessarily hold up to hotter fixtures...

squirt_12
03-09-2008, 06:22 PM
Yes, you can certainly go open...but I don't like it...increases evaporation, not to mention critters jump/crawl out...

And if you do get a pre-made lid, made sure it can handle the heat of whatever lighting you have...the ones for FW won't necessarily hold up to hotter fixtures...
Yeah I was thinking that about the open top.

I think that a pre-made lid should beable to hande it cause the lights (http://www.petmountain.com/product/bulbs/504286/coralife-50-50-mini-compact-fluorescent-bulbs.html) I want to get, it says that they have a low operating temperature.

YankyTexan
03-09-2008, 07:34 PM
Squirt -

take a look at this, it might help. Like they say a picture is worth a 1,000 words.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/diy/60938-canopy-build-question.html

Good luck,
Daniel

squirt_12
03-09-2008, 09:44 PM
hmmm. Thanks. That is very interesting.

I want to build a hood for the tank that the lights go into. Not a canopy. But that has helped me alot if I want to build a canopy.
thanks.

squirt_12
03-09-2008, 10:16 PM
Do you think that this (http://www.rcarchive.com/fish/hood/) is a good design to go by??

I think that I might try this one but I want to see what ya'll think of it.

EDIT - I would modify it a little to fit in these (http://www.petmountain.com/product/bulbs/504286/coralife-50-50-mini-compact-fluorescent-bulbs.html) bulbs.

Tigerbarb
03-09-2008, 10:21 PM
You could build a glass canopy thingy outta plexi or tempered glass. Just cut a piece to fit the top, maybe duct tape it to the tank, then fill in the rest of the space with a thin piece of glass attatched to the hood by a door latch. You could set thte light on top of it, then duct tape it down for security.

squirt_12
03-09-2008, 10:25 PM
You could build a glass canopy thingy outta plexi or tempered glass. Just cut a piece to fit the top, maybe duct tape it to the tank, then fill in the rest of the space with a thin piece of glass attatched to the hood by a door latch. You could set thte light on top of it, then duct tape it down for security.
That sounds to confusing. I think that I might go with the rain gutter hood design unless I find something else that is either easier or better.

squirt_12
03-10-2008, 02:12 AM
Do you think the rain gutter one is a good idea????

Also. Do you think that I should shoot for 10wpg??? or should I get around 5wpg??? This would be for a SW tank that I would want to get some coral for.

YankyTexan
03-10-2008, 02:25 AM
"Do you think that I should shoot for 10wpg??? or should I get around 5wpg??? This would be for a SW tank that I would want to get some coral for."

FWIW - I'd research the specific lighting reqiurements for the specimens you wish to keep prior to building/purchasing a lighting system. Some saltwater corals can be very demanding. IMHO - there is a world of difference between lighting a FW planted tank and a SW coral tank.

Best of luck,
Daniel

squirt_12
03-10-2008, 02:28 AM
"Do you think that I should shoot for 10wpg??? or should I get around 5wpg??? This would be for a SW tank that I would want to get some coral for."

FWIW - I'd research the specific lighting reqiurements for the specimens you wish to keep prior to building/purchasing a lighting system. Some saltwater corals can be very demanding. IMHO - there is a world of difference between lighting a FW planted tank and a SW coral tank.

Best of luck,
Daniel
Yeah I have been researching them. I am just not a SW expert so I don't know too much about this stuff. I shall research more but I just want the facts before I go and buy something and end up it is wrong.
Thanks.