PDA

View Full Version : Dieing Kyoto?

Tigerbarb
03-09-2008, 04:39 PM
I have a dark green plant I got in one of tose plastic tubes from Petco, and it hasn't grown much. The other plants, including the bulbs, are growing alot and thriving. The tips of the bottom leaves of the plant are yellowing and turning brown. Just this morning, I sniped off the brown ends.
The lighting in my 10g is 15 watts.
Do you have any idea what is happening, and what I should do?
I was thinking about gettin a 25 watt strip light, but my current light is 7 inches. The lowest size of strip light I can find is 14 inches.

Algenco
03-09-2008, 04:52 PM
Never heard of it. Most likely a bog plant that will not survive long fully submerged

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-09-2008, 04:58 PM
Yup. from what I've seen of those plants at Petco, all but one or two of them are not true aquatic plants and will eventually die if planted fully submerged.

Adrian
03-09-2008, 05:07 PM
You know, I have always had problems finding aquarium plants. I have seen those tubes, and went, nope...not in my tank. But trying to find an aquarium store that has plants is hard. I see all kinds of fish, salt, cold and tropical, but rarely do I ever see plants.

I finally found a store that sells just plants, and it is really cool, however, the cost of gas to drive there is outrageous. So I am left in a position of just taking what is offered by the lfs, or ordering online, which I don't like doing either.

Has to be a better way.

I agree that a lot of places sell bog plants, and thats fine if you have a terrarium, but not cool if you have an aquarium....

Maybe I will start my own store.....who knows.

Algenco
03-09-2008, 05:12 PM
Without doubt the best place to get plants is from fellow aquarist. You'll get true aquatics in better shape and much cheaper

Adrian
03-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Without doubt the best place to get plants is from fellow aquarist. You'll get true aquatics in better shape and much cheaper

Is that a sales pitch? LOL, I already bought some....<grins>

I agree Gene, that it is best to buy from another aquarist, though difficult too, as if you don't know the guy, you don't know what you are getting. I know your plants are of top notch quality. I could tell that from looking at the root system.

Roots that are nice and white, means they are healthy, and well fed. BTW, the plants I got from you are doing great!

Algenco
03-09-2008, 05:42 PM
Is that a sales pitch? LOL, I already bought some....<grins>

I agree Gene, that it is best to buy from another aquarist, though difficult too, as if you don't know the guy, you don't know what you are getting. I know your plants are of top notch quality. I could tell that from looking at the root system.

Roots that are nice and white, means they are healthy, and well fed. BTW, the plants I got from you are doing great!

I have at least 15 species of plants and not one came from a lfs.
Haven't encountered any problems with quality or quantitythumbs2:
About the only thing I have an excess of now are cherry shrimp and java moss

Tigerbarb
03-10-2008, 02:31 PM
Yup. from what I've seen of those plants at Petco, all but one or two of them are not true aquatic plants and will eventually die if planted fully submerged.
I think you are right. Yellowing of non-aquatic plants usually is a sign of overwatering, and with an aquatic plant, that shouldn't be possible.