PDA

View Full Version : another bichir question

kirbyr
10-13-2006, 08:52 PM
I have a pair of albino senegalus bichirs, one is smaller than the other. I recently bought a senegalus bichir (not in the same tank) (well the name at the pet store was 'dinosaur eel') but can see when comparing that the body shape is slightly different. the bodies of the albinos are larger in circumfrence and shorter than the non albino. The body of the plain bichir is smaller and much longer. on top of that, i also had another plain senegalus bichir (in yet another tank) that has a body more similar to the alibinos, not the newest one

I'm wondering if the plain is not a senegalus but a different type of bichir, and then i rememebered seeing another albino bichir at a different pet store (that i now wish i had bought) that had a body type similar to the plain bichir i just got. It was under the name polypterus palmas. i'm wondering if the latest bichir is also a palmas. i did research but really didn't find any info on differences in body sizes.

Lastly, if they are a slightly different species does the albino morph occur in all bichir species? thanks

stubbytheplecostomus
10-14-2006, 12:46 AM
albinos can occur in most all species of fish, mammals, reptiles, ect. with verying degrees of frequency. most albino species we see in the pet stores are the result of inbreeding and selective breeding in captivity. I am very certain that the senegal is probably the only bichir that is being breed in captivity, i doubt that the an albino bichir would last long enough in the wild to be captured. so in conclusion your albino is probably the senegal, however their size and shape can very from individual to individual. the biggest difference between species of bichir will be in the patterns and colors of the bichir.

stubbytheplecostomus
10-14-2006, 12:47 AM
dinosuar eels are a different thing entirly, more related to electric eels then bichirs.