PDA

View Full Version : cycling

Angiey
10-13-2006, 03:27 PM
Hi. I have a juwel 180 litre. I am doing a traditional cycle with a few zebras. They have been in for 8 days and I have an ammonia reading of approx 0.35. What can I expect ammonia to rise to and what time scale are we looking at before nitrite kicks in and what would be considered a dangerous reading if nitrite still has not started. I would assume I would start water changes then if this instance occurred.
Thanks in advance.
AY

turbomkt
10-13-2006, 05:34 PM
Get some mulm from an established tank and it will help out a lot.

I haven't had to do a traditional cycle on a tank in several years so I don't know what levels you can expect to see. Sorry!

CJ1
10-15-2006, 07:04 PM
When cycling a tank, just do normal weekly maintenance. This includes water changes and rinsing your filter media. Just be patient and let the tank cycle. Yes the toxins will get high, but they're needed to get the needed bacteria growing. Do not do extra water changes to lower ammonia or nitrite levels. This will just slow down the cycling process and expose your fish to toxins for a much longer period. I usually just test for nitrites. When nitrites drop to zero, tank is cycled.

freshwaterfishlover
10-29-2006, 05:02 AM
When cycling a tank, just do normal weekly maintenance. This includes water changes and rinsing your filter media. Just be patient and let the tank cycle. Yes the toxins will get high, but they're needed to get the needed bacteria growing. Do not do extra water changes to lower ammonia or nitrite levels. This will just slow down the cycling process and expose your fish to toxins for a much longer period. I usually just test for nitrites. When nitrites drop to zero, tank is cycled.

I could'nt say it better.

jeffs99dime
10-29-2006, 06:25 AM
x2- sounds good

Lady Hobbs
10-29-2006, 01:04 PM
Maybe you'll luck out and not get high ammonia levels at all and will cycle the tank anyway. My last tank cycled with never an ammonia level over .25.

Glasstapper
10-30-2006, 02:08 AM
I just recently cycled my tank traditionally, as well. Let me share with you some things I've learned:

-Your spike you're looking for will probably read somewhere around 5.0 or so, but don't freak out if it goes higher or doesn't get that high. I was using 10 tetras to cycle, so your readings will be different.

-If you DO want to perform a water change, make it a very small one, like 10%, and leave that gravel alone. Siphoning the gravel before your tank is cycled will cause your cycle to start all over again. Also, only do water changes during a cycle maybe once a week to every 10 days.

-Somewhere around 3 or 4 weeks (maybe sooner, maybe later) you'll start to see nitrites. Your nitrites will probably rise so high that it will be higher than you can read. Mine got up a little past 9.0 before they started dropping, but again, you may have different readings.

-When your nitrites start dropping, give it roughly 2 weeks before you'll get a reading of 0 nitrites. At this point your tank has done cycling, but only slowly add new fish at a period of 2 weeks to allow your new bio load to adjust.

-When adding new fish, be sure to feed your existing ones first. When they are done eating, remove any uneaten food and turn out the light. Then you'll float the bag of new fish for 15 minutes, then add a small amount of your tank water to the bag. Continue adding tank water every 20 minutes until an hour has passed. Carefully net your new fish (I find it easier to pour them into a bowl first) and introduce them to your tank. Never add the store water to your tank! Keep the light off for a couple of hours. Watch them interact to be sure they get along. I actually had my tetras harass and kill 3 cory cats recently. They are supposed to get along, but the only way to truly know is to watch them. Another good thing to do might be to move some of your decorations around to break up any territory boundaries your fish may have "roped" off. Now they have to find a new territory at the same time your new fish are.

-Keep checking your water conditions at least once a week, and do your small (10%-20%) water changes about every 2 weeks. It's ok to siphon your gravel a section at a time now. I do half the gravel at one water change, then the other half two weeks later at the other water change.

-Lastly, have patience with your fish. Some may hide at first. If they are not being chased or harassed by others, then they are just shy and will venture around the tank when they are ready. It could take a few days or a few weeks, but just be patient.

I know I gave you way more information than you wanted, but these were all questions I had at the beginning, and I thought I would share my answers with you. ;) Enjoy the hobby! The cycling is the worst part to go through, but after that is a blast!

kimmers318
10-30-2006, 02:16 AM
Very nicely said glasstapper! It is such a nice feeling to be able to pass on tips to the new "parents" to give them a starting point and answers to questions they don't even know they have yet!

Glasstapper
10-30-2006, 02:24 AM
Thanks, kimmers. :blush

SHRXTC
11-01-2006, 06:28 AM
Glasstapper,

That was a great write up!!!
As a matter of fact, all the info you post are great, they really helped me alot!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Lady Hobbs
11-01-2006, 10:04 AM
If you can find some bio-spira at your LPS, it will get the cycle done sooner, as well. It's refrigeratered and not carried by anyone but the petshops. If that isn't available, Stress Zyme (Walmarts) may help with adding that bacteria for a faster cycling.