PDA

View Full Version : smallest killi

KittyKat
09-17-2005, 02:22 PM
what is the smallest non-anual killi?

William
09-24-2005, 02:20 AM
Hi
sorry I can't help you. I have little experince with killies.

It might be a fish within the Diapterons group which are small but I think most of those are anual.

nick_cave
11-14-2005, 10:46 AM
Hi,

When i first saw your question posted here, i didn't know the exact awnser, but i've made a small quest in the literature, and found a parcial awnser, namely in: Riehl, Ruediger, Baensch, Hans A. (1997): Baensch - Aquarium Atlas, 6 th Ed, Vol. I, pag. 420.

Acording to them, there are for example two "dwarf killifish", Oryzias minustillus, and Aplocheilichthys myersi (the currently accepted cientific name is: Poropanchax myersi), each have less than 2 cm long.

This information gave me a clue, to search more about those Genera, so i browsed a litle more in my books, found both Aplochilichthys, an African generum, commonly known as Lamp-Eyes Panchax, with rather dull locks, usualy ligth brown, or gold, with some blue iridiscence under direct ligthening, and Oryzias, an Asian generum, commonly known as Rice Fishes, also not very colorfull.

In Fishbase the litle avaiable information states that, Aplochilichthys is a litle longer than 2 cm (2.3 cm long), and Oryzias is 2 cm long.

In conclusion, probably the smallest non annual killifish is Oryzias minustillus.

KittyKat
10-13-2011, 10:47 AM
Wow, I completely forgot about this topic! Thanks for the belayed and useful reply Nuno :) I can't remember why I was asking in the first place, but the information is still useful to me.