PDA

View Full Version : Breeding minnows

goleafs
03-09-2008, 12:28 AM
About a week or two ago I bought 6 minnows from where I go to buy ice fishing minnows. I've had them in a plastic container (22"Lx17"Wx6"H) with a bad attempt at a homemade filter (it atleast pumps oxygen into the water). I'm thinking of breeding them for fishing/ for feeders. Has anyone done this before or know how to go about doing this? I think they are striped shiners. (They have scales and are silver).

dustinpedley
03-11-2008, 12:22 AM
that depends on what kind of "minnows" you bought.

more than likely you bought fathead minnows

-fatheads ie.. Rosy minnows-you know those cute little feeder fish are just a color morph of the fathead minnow. the males build a nest and will guard it and the fry, but they usually will die after spawning.

but why waste your time and aquarium space for some $1 for 2dz minnows-jmho

Sasquatch
03-11-2008, 12:59 AM
If they're fatheads, I can give you all the info you'd ever want, I bred then for a year and a half and produces something like 1000 during that time.

If they're not ... don't know if I'd be much help ...

Here are some pics of fatheads, male and female.

goleafs
03-11-2008, 04:32 PM
They're not fatheads. I was thinking of getting rid of these guys as they all seem in really rough shape and getting some fatheads... But then I discovered some old lights and I think I'm going to turn that tank into a planted tank.

Sasquatch
03-11-2008, 04:46 PM
Shiners would look really good in a planted tank, they're good active swimmers.

Just remember that they're coldwater fish, so keep the temp around 20-23C. You should be able to find some information on the internet about their spawning behaviour, maybe at Fishbase.

Feeding wise, they're generally planktivorous, so tubifex, blood worms, freeze dried plankton. But add some veg flakes too.