PDA

View Full Version : Got...

TowBoater
03-08-2008, 10:18 PM
One of these today. I saw it at my LFS and looked it up and saw I could have it so I bought it. Here is a link to it.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1663

Adrian
03-08-2008, 10:20 PM
Wow, that's a cool looking fish. If I ever decide to go cichlids, I am going to be looking for a lot of the colorful ones.

Dave66
03-08-2008, 10:25 PM
Better go to the grocery store and stock up on veggies, Kuli. Those fish are herbivores. If you feed him meaty foods, you'll kill him eventually, as meaty foods are too rich for herbivores to digest, and you end up with a fish dyeing from renal failure.
Green algae, per my first Culture installment, is easy to culture and the perfect food for that fish.

Dave

TowBoater
03-08-2008, 10:34 PM
What about spirulina stuff? I have some algae in the tank. Would a veggie on a veggie clip work well? Cucumbers and Zucini?

Ellen4God
03-08-2008, 10:45 PM
Wow! Those fish are so bright. Nice find.

Dave66
03-08-2008, 10:58 PM
What about spirulina stuff? I have some algae in the tank. Would a veggie on a veggie clip work well? Cucumbers and Zucini?

Kuli,
Spirulina isn't algae, Kuli, its a cyanobacteria, which is why lots of herbivores don't eat it unless they are starving. Veggie on clips yes. Leaf spinach, Romaine Lettace, Collard Greens, Kale. Hard foods need to be sunk. If you look at my Feeding Otocinclus thing in foods, it'll tell you all you need to know about feeding that gorgeous fish correctly. The menu in that post works for all kinds of herbivore fishes.

Dave

TowBoater
03-08-2008, 11:12 PM
Thanks a million!!

kitten3326
03-08-2008, 11:27 PM
Beautiful fish, I just love those, I am currently setting up just yellow labs and powder blue malawi's with 2 peacocks. Can't wait to get them all:)

TowBoater
03-09-2008, 01:54 AM
I got in that tank:

1 Peacock
2 Yellow Labs
2 Albino sumtins
1 Red Zebra
1 of those new ones
2 of those stipped ones I got pics of.

Fishguy2727
03-09-2008, 03:25 AM
To feed them all...NLS.

jbeining75
03-09-2008, 04:48 AM
Sweet Kuli. I also have a demasoni.... They are awesome fish and are great in a mixed african tank....

TowBoater
03-09-2008, 12:05 PM
To feed them all...NLS.

Don't come in my post advertising your "NLS" anymore please.

Fishguy2727
03-09-2008, 01:58 PM
I am not advertising, when diet came up I posted about what I think, just like others posted about what they think.

RainMan
03-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Kuli,
Spirulina isn't algae, Kuli, its a cyanobacteria, which is why lots of herbivores don't eat it unless they are starving. Veggie on clips yes. Leaf spinach, Romaine Lettace, Collard Greens, Kale. Hard foods need to be sunk. If you look at my Feeding Otocinclus thing in foods, it'll tell you all you need to know about feeding that gorgeous fish correctly. The menu in that post works for all kinds of herbivore fishes.

Dave

I just read this: Feeding Mbuna Cichlids (http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/feeding_mbuna.php) I always thought spirulina was a recommended nutrition for mbuna? I've read it everywhere else. Never did they say, not pure spirulina. Anyway, I can never find a constant source of it in the lfs anywhere.... so, i personally don't use it. But, that's good to know.... only vegtable flakes containing spirulina. Flakes are a PITA.... so another reason, I won't worry about it.

Anyway, that's a good article on food.

Dave66
03-10-2008, 10:45 PM
I just read this: Feeding Mbuna Cichlids (http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/feeding_mbuna.php) I always thought spirulina was a recommended nutrition for mbuna? I've read it everywhere else. Never did they say, not pure spirulina. Anyway, I can never find a constant source of it in the lfs anywhere.... so, i personally don't use it. But, that's good to know.... only vegtable flakes containing spirulina. Flakes are a PITA.... so another reason, I won't worry about it.

Anyway, that's a good article on food.

Rain,
It is pure Spirolina, its just that Spirolina isn't algae, and algae is what those fish eat. Spirolina is photosynthetic bacteria. Algae, which is a plant, and thus is proper for the fish to eat as is a natural food for them. Cyanobacteria is not.

Dave

NickFish
03-11-2008, 12:03 AM
Demasoni are very agressive fish. What they lack in size they make up for in strength. At first they are peaceful, and some speimens remain that way their whole life, however most become very territorial with age. You will have to keep at least 12 to minimize agression, or sooner or later you'll end up with only 1. They kill each other if another african goes too close to the demasonis cave. They are most agressive however to fish that look like them. I have heard of them kept successfully with electric yellow labs, and aceis. The temperment of the individual decides everything, but for the most part they are extremely aggressive.
Great colors though!

TowBoater
03-11-2008, 12:12 AM
He is the only one and nothing is close to his color.

Fishguy2727
03-11-2008, 02:02 AM
Algae is not a plant, it is a protist. All types of 'true algaes' (not the bacterial algaes), even kelp, is a protist, not a plant.

Unfortunately in captivity we cannot feed these animals exactly what they eat in the wild. We must find alternative but equivalent food sources. This may mean that tetras are fed foods made with whole squid or that 'herbivorous' species get other things as well, like spirulina, lettuce form out fridge, etc. This does not mean it is not as good, just not the same. I think we all know we cannot give them the same thing. We simply need to find ingredients that they can digest that also provide the needed nutrients.

RainMan
03-11-2008, 01:51 PM
Learn something new everyday... especially on this forum.

Just in this one thread....
- spirulina is a cyanobacteria (thanks Dave)
- demasoni are usually aggressive, with a few exceptions (Thanks Nick)
- Algae is not a plant, it is a protist (thanks Fishguy)
- Kuli_Loach doesn't need to be told to use NLS anymore by Fishguy. (sorry had to throw that in) LOL

I love this forum!

Dixie
03-11-2008, 07:50 PM
LOL ok Kuli_Loach doesn't need to be told about NLS (even though it's what I use too) but a good staple food is best for any cichlid, whether it be NLS, Hikari, or something else. I give fresh or frozen veggies more as a treat or snack rather than a meal.

TowBoater
03-11-2008, 10:33 PM
Guys I can't read his post anymore so it's all good!! Yea I have tried and had poor success with NLS, I like Hakari.