PDA

View Full Version : I need betta fin and feeding help!

angelmm
10-11-2006, 08:39 PM
I just got my first male betta about 3 months ago. When I first got it I didnt know much about fish diseases. I think my betta might have fin rot and be constipated but nothing will help. When I first got it his fins were really pretty. He is dark blue with a black face. About a week after I had him I noticed he wasnt going to the bathroom and his stomach was getting a bulge, and his fins were becoming transparent and frayed at the ends. Then chunks became missing from his fins like he had been in a fight but hes the only fish in the 5 gal. tank. I have tried Jungle Fungus CLear tank buddies, Quick Cure drops, melafix, and aquarium salt. Not all at the same time, but over time. He still isnt going to the bathroom very well and i have tried to feed him a pea. He also can not keep the pellets i feed him down. I started him out on color enhancing pellets which he can eat then tried to switch to Aquarian betta pellets which he tries to eat but they always come spitting out of his mouth. He keeps trying to eat them but he cant keep them down. His fins have also not gotten any better. They continue to get very thin, transparent,clampped, and frayed or eaten at the ends. Please if you can give me some advice or is this signs of a more serious disease?

betta mom
10-12-2006, 12:09 AM
a pea is the best thing to give them if their not going poo . you may have to give it to him a couple differnt times . don't feed him anything but the pea . on finrot ...the best thing i found to use is aquarium salt and bettafix . you may have to keep it up for awhile . what size tank is he in ? how often do you change his water ? how much & often do you feed him ? :19:

kimmers318
10-12-2006, 02:58 AM
I don't know what type of water conditioner you are using....but you can try some stresscoat. I have had success treating damaged fins with it...it claims to help the fish with their natural slime coat, thus making it easier to heal and fight off infection...so far, I have been pleased with it.

gwenkat
10-15-2006, 08:31 PM
I purchased a betta from Wal-Mart because his fins looked so bad. I treated them with Bettafix and stresscoat. Now he is gorgeous and healthy.