PDA

View Full Version : Tramatic Experience with my Angel.

siymdapolio
03-07-2008, 08:43 PM
I have not posted this sooner because I had no idea were to put this story, I hope I am in the right place.

As i get back from school I checked my fish out, and i realized there was a big intact conventional fishfood flake under my dew/glasstop and it was moist so i dropped it in and my mountain minnows shredded it up(my fish are all very very young)!! Very cool to see so I thought man i am doing that again and that would be there feeding for day. I grabbed another fish flake and dipped it in the water to moisten it and dropped it in to watch them devour it!!

Here comes Dog(baby Angelfish) burst through the school of fish and tries to swallow the huge flake whole!!! It got wrapped up like a burrito and sticking out of his mouth, at this time I did not know what to think. He could not eat the whole flake and started panicking and jolting from one end of the tank to the other. Soon his front part of his face even looked kind of blue (lack of oxygen???)
I being the inexperienced man that I am had no idea what to do, and at this moment i realized the sympathy i had for the little bugger (only had fish for 2 weeks and my first tank)
HE WAS CHOKING I SWEAR AND DID not have time to come on here so i fished him up with a little net and squezzed his little belly twice and flopped him back into the tank and he managed to cough it up when i gave him a little squezze and I swear i saved his life. Did i perform the fishy hiemlick remover???

Post script
And Dog is doing just dandy now, seemed a little stressed for a day or two but now it is acting like its normal self

edited for another B word.....Hobbs

Sasquatch
03-07-2008, 08:51 PM
An essential rule of thumb in the aquarium hobby is "Don't over react!"

All told, it looks like no harm done ... but eventually the flake would have softened up and he would either have spit it out or managed to swallow it.

It's a lesson for next time though ... crush your flakes a little before feeding them. Fish are real pigs and there are a fair few cases of fish choking themselves to death trying to swallow something too big.

If it helps, it almost happened yesterday with my sparkling gourami. I fed him plankton and I hadn't cut it up small enough. He managed to spit it up ... but I was a little worried for a minute or two.

siymdapolio
03-07-2008, 08:53 PM
An essential rule of thumb in the aquarium hobby is "Don't over react!"

All told, it looks like no harm done ... but eventually the flake would have softened up and he would either have spit it out or managed to swallow it.

It's a lesson for next time though ... crush your flakes a little before feeding them. Fish are real pigs and there are a fair few cases of fish choking themselves to death trying to swallow something too big.

If it helps, it almost happened yesterday with my sparkling gourami. I fed him plankton and I hadn't cut it up small enough. He managed to spit it up ... but I was a little worried for a minute or two.
I was told that by the LFS, said dont over feed and they are all babies they need tiny flakes! but since that first flake was moist the mountain minnows shredded it up, thought it was sweet but obviously angelfish Dog wanted the whole flake and i didnt moisten it enough. EEEK never doing that again :D

smaug
03-07-2008, 10:26 PM
my angel tried to eat a whole 2-3 inch worm once,I was trying to rip it up but before I got to it it fell into the water and he snagged it,he swam around for about an hour till he got it all down.It takes alot to choke a fish.

siymdapolio
03-21-2008, 06:09 PM
Great thanks smaug that makes me feel a lot better because he managed to snatch the shrimp pellet away from the hoover(brisltenose!)