PDA

View Full Version : planted tank - can i add fish yet?

Robin12265
03-07-2008, 06:24 PM
3 weeks "old"
nitrite 0
ammonia 0
nitrate 5

5 zebra danios to help cycle

low light plants - doing well. seeing new sprouts!!

is it safe to start adding some fish yet? (slowly, of course)

sorry for briefness of post. sending from my phone

angelcakes
03-07-2008, 06:26 PM
should be ok,but like you say slowly...............:thumb:

smaug
03-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Sounds good to me,start with the hardiest fish first ,and of cource just a few.

Sasquatch
03-07-2008, 08:57 PM
Have you seen a spike in ammonia and nitrite? If both have spikes and gone back to 0, you cycle is done.

You can slowly add a few fish at a time. Keep an eye on ammonia after you do, just to make sure that you cycle is keeping up.

Congrats, so ... What ya gonna get?:18:

Robin12265
03-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Sasquatch - that IS the question! LOL What do I want to put in this tank? Obviously nothing that will uproot my plants or eat them. Already have a community tank - thinking maybe the less agressive ciclids? Dunno for sure yet though.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

It's exciting to see little leaves growing on my plants already! It will be more fun to have some movement in there (although the little zebras sure a quick - and hungry little buggers - they zoom to the front of the tank everytime I'm near in hopes of being fed! LOL)

Sasquatch
03-07-2008, 09:44 PM
You have just entered the Fishlight Zone ....

Asking people on the AC what kind of fish you should get is a daring proposition.

Tell us about the tank. Size, filtration, which plants. Is it the 44g pentagon on your profile?

You've mentionned "less aggressive cichlids" ... still a pretty wide group. What about a species tank ... or a biotope ...

Robin12265
03-07-2008, 11:38 PM
Yup - the 44 G pentagon.

It currently only has 30 watts of light (going to get a strip that will give off 65 watts)

Plants are:
Lace Java Fern (1)
Dwarf Sagittaria Subulata (6)
Corkscrew Vallisneria (4)
Crypt Spiralis (4)
Ozelot Sword (2)
Jungle Vallisneria (4)

Filter is a Rena xP2 canister

I'd like something with a bit of color and I've noticed some really bright yellow and bright blue cichlids but I haven't had time to really research them. Like I said, I don't want anything that will be tearing up the plants.

On the other hand...

DH wants to put the community fish we have in the living room in this tank and make that tank a saltwater tank. I've heard that doesn't work too well because it's not set up for the wet/dry filter business. < shrug > And he's already complaining about the cost of the planted tank -- he seems to not understant that saltwater costs even more! LOL

Sasquatch
03-08-2008, 12:07 AM
Yeah, if he thinks planted is expensive ... saltwater is a whole other league.

I have to admit that I know next to nothing about cichlids. I think rams are nice ... kribs too ... but that's about it!

If you want my opinion, and it's just that, I'd go with a mix of tiger barbs and cory cats. With a 44g, you could have decent sized schools of each (5-6), have plenty of activity in the tank, and nice, colorful fish. Find something for algae control (a couple of bristlenoses or a swarm of otos) and you've got a nice tank IMO.

smaug
03-08-2008, 01:51 AM
how about some kehole cichlids,or kribs?

Sasquatch
03-08-2008, 02:10 AM
One cichlid that I think would go well is such a tank are Angelfish.

Robin12265
03-09-2008, 01:58 AM
Oh, I didn't think about angels! I've always passed on them because of the discus... But she's not in this tank!

I noticed the angel and the 2 fish smaug mentioned were all listed on this grouping - does it sound reasonable to you guys? (obviously not all of them, but any combination of them would work, right?)

http://elmersaquarium.com/c106community4angels.htm

Edited to add - has anyone seen the pearl/pearlscale angelfish? Is it as pretty as it sounds?!

Sasquatch
03-09-2008, 05:28 PM
I didn't see anything that stands out that would not go well with angels.

A breeding pair of kribs would be nice in that tank if you want another cichlid.

Some small rasboras or tetras to add activity mid-tank would complete the tank. Maybe some cories or shrimp as a cleanup crew on the bottom.

MelonMan
03-10-2008, 08:42 AM
wat about a pair of dwarf cichlids, angels, cories and some schooling species. maybe add more danios