PDA

View Full Version : White film on my plants??

SpyderSpy6
03-07-2008, 03:00 AM
I recently moved my plants, and I think that I accidently shocked my plants in the process. Many of them seemed to "melt", I pulled up the roots and they were dead. With it being a discus tank, I didn't want to run the risk of letting the plants rot in hopes that they would re-grow. A couple of my plants have survived, but are struggling.

My annubias has a white film all over some the stems and leaves. It is not debris that has collected on it, the water is extemely clean right now. I am curious... if I cut the annubias in various sections that are healthy, will it continue to grow? I have one with a 7-8 inch vertical stem, and if I cut it and replant it, will this grow?

Also, are the any good articles on proper trimming techniques? I feel like there has to be better was to trim my plants so that they grow better.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-07-2008, 03:46 AM
I can partially answer the Anubia question. Yes it will grow. Propegation of Anubias is done via Ryzome division. Simply remove the plant from the tank and cut out the desired areas using a very sharp razor knife and replace the good sections in the tank. You are then left with multiple plants that will continue to grow.

I always trim my plants using either a good pair of sicssors or a good sharp razor knife blade.

SpyderSpy6
03-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Is there any website that has instructions on various techniques for propegation.

Also, any idea what the white film would be? It's only growing on the annubias. Is this just from damaged leaves dieing off? Or should I be worried about it?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-07-2008, 05:38 PM
What kind of propegation techniuques are you looking for? What plants are you wanting to propegate? Most are quite simple.

Not sure what the white film is as I've never run into it. If I were you, I'd pull them out and rinse them off and try to get the film off. At the same time you can propegate them.