PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp Questions...

B_Ez
03-07-2008, 02:10 AM
OK, so I bought two ghost shrimp over the weekend. As of Tuesday, I was seeing both of them regularly. Yesterday, I only saw one of them. This morning I saw one of them and the other one was nowhere to be found. In addition, I see what looks like his skin stuck in one of my plants.

I'm assuming they are "molting". Do I need to remove the skin? Then again, the "skin" could be the actual shrimp. I honestly can't tell at this point.

Sasquatch
03-07-2008, 02:36 AM
Ghost shrimp are really good hiders. What you saw was probably the molt. A dead shrimp is white and opaque.

I have 6 amanos that get almost 2" long in my 10g and I sometimes can't find them all ... a couple of ghost shrimp are easy to miss if you have sufficient decor.

Ellen4God
03-07-2008, 02:47 AM
OK, so I bought two ghost shrimp over the weekend. As of Tuesday, I was seeing both of them regularly. Yesterday, I only saw one of them. This morning I saw one of them and the other one was nowhere to be found. In addition, I see what looks like his skin stuck in one of my plants.

I'm assuming they are "molting". Do I need to remove the skin? Then again, the "skin" could be the actual shrimp. I honestly can't tell at this point.

I want to say that they eat their skin after they molt, but I'm not positive.

...I just did a little search, and I think they do eat them. Maybe wait a day or two to see?

Sasquatch
03-07-2008, 12:26 PM
I want to say that they eat their skin after they molt, but I'm not positive.

...I just did a little search, and I think they do eat them. Maybe wait a day or two to see?

Other fish will also eat them, I caught one of our platies munching one of the amano molts in our aquarium.

sailor
03-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Yes leave the molt in the tank. It will get eaten either by the shrimp or the fish.

B_Ez
03-07-2008, 02:36 PM
Ok, I'll leave it there. I didn't want to pollute the tank. LOL