PDA

View Full Version : Most peaceful BLUE Mbuna species?

Johnenewt1
03-07-2008, 12:43 AM
Hi... I am currently setting up a peaceful 65-gallon Mbuna-only tank and currently own 5) each of: Yellow Labs, Acei (Violet), and Rustys. I would like to add one more type of fish that is Blue in coloration. Based on your experiences, please recommend the most peaceful blue Mbuna I can add to my tank (shade of blue does not matter). Thank you for your help.

Drumachine09
03-07-2008, 12:46 AM
Powder Blue Cichlid. Psuedotropheus Socolofi I believe.

RainMan
03-08-2008, 02:45 PM
+1 on the Pseu. Socolofi

RainMan
03-08-2008, 02:59 PM
Oh and here is one of mine with a rusty so you can have a visual reference. :)

And I just found this one..

And this is a cool pic too.

Sorry... I'm not very good at taking pics yet.

Lady Hobbs
03-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Picture was nice. Good job.

angelcakes
03-08-2008, 04:23 PM
pics are lovely especialy the third he looks very cute........:thumb:

Johnenewt1
03-09-2008, 09:04 PM
Hello,
I’ve posted my above question on 12) different Cichlid forum websites, and have posted the below response on all of them as well:

Thank you everyone for taking the time to read and respond to my question. Your help is greatly appreciated. :) Many people have recommended way too aggressive blue mbuna species for my current peaceful inhabitants. As you can see above, I’m looking for the most Peaceful or, “less aggressive” mbuna setup possible. Because I’m not interested in Haps, Peacocks, dwarfs or carnivores, and based upon the feedback that I have received, I believe the best recommendation was the:

- Pseudotropheus sp. "blue dolphin" in Ndonga (Giant Demasoni)

(Not to be confused with the Cyrtocara moorii "blue dolphin")

http://cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=2605

This seems to be one of the more peaceful species and would be perfect for my tank. Now, the question is… where the heck can I find them? Does anyone know any websites, stores or people I can buy them from who could ship them? Thank you again. :)

Drumachine09
03-09-2008, 09:06 PM
Your best bet would be to study a bunch of pictures of them, and then go to LFS and try to pick out the individual from their mixed african tanks.

RainMan
03-09-2008, 10:15 PM
Sounds like a good candidate. Where you going to find one of those?

TowBoater
03-09-2008, 10:15 PM
Thats what I have to do. A lot of the time I will look at what they have, possible even take pictures with my phone and come home and research.

RainMan
03-09-2008, 10:35 PM
- Pseudotropheus sp. "blue dolphin" in Ndonga (Giant Demasoni)

(Not to be confused with the Cyrtocara moorii "blue dolphin")

http://cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=2605

This seems to be one of the more peaceful species and would be perfect for my tank. Now, the question is… where the heck can I find them? Does anyone know any websites, stores or people I can buy them from who could ship them? Thank you again. :)

That's what i was thinking in my post... I've seen demasoni's in fish stores... I've never seen any of them advertised as blue dolphins, Ndonga, or giant demasoni. I think you might have an "Eleanor" here. You know a unicorn, fable creature that can't be captured. :)

I believe these are the demasoni, I've seen in stores. Cichlids are rarely labeled right. But here's a link to a site that sells them: Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums Demasoni Cichlid African Cichlids (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1663)

Although they are advertising them as agressive??? Good luck and keep us posted. And I believe they are right?

sailor
03-10-2008, 12:26 AM
There do not seem to be very many lfs that get their africans labelled properly. The majority of the problem is the suppliers. Sending fish as mixed zebras or mixed kenyans etc. They seem to get a lot of hybreds that way. I usually stay away from them unless I am possitive what they are or I get from an online supplier or a shop that specializes in cichlids.

RainMan
03-10-2008, 05:05 PM
Hey Sailor... what's your blue peaceful recommendation? Just curious... I think you always have a good opinion and advice to give.

sailor
03-10-2008, 06:25 PM
I like some of the Cynotilapia afra, there are a lot of blue varieties. One of my favorites are the Cynotilapia afra Mbenji, I think they look awsome and are a beautiful fish. Not the most blue of some of the afras. As far as aggression goes they are mildly aggressive which is about as peaceful as it gets with cichlids.

Here is a link with some good info for you

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/category.php?cat=2

RainMan
03-10-2008, 06:34 PM
+1... Those are some beautiful mbuna! I wish my lfs had some of those to choose from.

sailor
03-10-2008, 06:39 PM
I've never seen them in a lfs but we have an online supplier in Winnipeg who has them from time to time.

RainMan
03-10-2008, 07:46 PM
I've never ordered online... have you had good experience with that? I guess it all depends on which online supplier you use.

Sorry to get off topic anyway.

sailor
03-10-2008, 07:55 PM
I have gotten a few orders from a great site in Winnipeg.I have never lost a fish from there, and he seems to always toss in a free fish or two to the order.

Dixie
03-11-2008, 10:26 PM
That blue dolphin "giant demasoni" is a real fish. I've seen people have them listed in their tanks and I think maybe for sale on Aquabid. Suppose to have alot of the look of the demasoni (only bigger) but not as mean.