PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Driftwood Too Big to Boil

MrKickalot
10-10-2006, 11:04 PM
As you can see from the pictures below I found the perfect piece of driftwood down by the river today. Problem is it's WAY to big to boil. Any idea's how I can clean it really good? I can boil parts of it but I figured that if I can't boil the whole thing it was pointless....

http://allmanphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1990694

Thanks!!

Jason

kimmers318
10-11-2006, 12:47 PM
Can you maybe fit it in your bathtub? Fill the tub with hot water from your tap...hopefully it will be hot enough. Not sure if it is okay or not, but a mild bleach solution will kill and "ickies" on the wood....and then you can rinse well, and refill tub with treated water to dechlorinate. I have only used store bought bogwood so far....but boy is that piece nice!

stubbytheplecostomus
10-11-2006, 11:04 PM
i collect driftwood by the river as well, no sense in paying 6 dolalrs a pound when its free, anyways, give it a good rinse, then fill your bathtub with water and let it soak for a day then empty the water and repeat for a week (this process is called curing, its the same technique used for live rock in saltwater tanks, curing for longer helps remove any parasites ect.,) i would also recomend puting a powerhead into the tub while it soaks to keep water moving, u can also use a bucket or a large rubbermade.

kimmers318
10-12-2006, 02:43 AM
Good ideas Stubby!

Lady Hobbs
10-20-2006, 11:58 PM
I also soaked a large piece of bog wood in my tub in salt water for several days and scrubbed it with a brush. Problem is, I didn't get my tank soon enough and the wood dried out and now I can't get it to sink. Will wait until spring and go in search again.