PDA

View Full Version : Are my plants doing that!?!

Sasquatch
03-06-2008, 09:25 PM
I've finally upgraded the lighting on my 10g and looking at my tank a few minutes ago, I noticed hundreds of small bubbles underneath the leaves of my Hygrophila.

I cut off the aeration in my tank (so as not to strip off CO2) so it's not that, and my filter isn't pushing bubbles into the water column ... so ...

Are these bubbles the oxygen produced by the plants? Could they really be producing that much? If so, that's cool! Nothing like seeing biology in action!

doug z
03-06-2008, 09:27 PM
Huh..

Are you adding CO2?

smaug
03-06-2008, 09:41 PM
If you have not recently done anything to stir the water.Then congrats!your plants are pearling,IE producing oxygen.Thats not real common with out added co2,your doing something right.

Adrian
03-06-2008, 09:41 PM
what those bubbles are, is your plants giving off o2. If you have the necessary 3 things for growing plants, you in essence can boost the amount of oxygen in your tank to 120%.

These three things are needed for that.

1.) Plenty of light. 2-5 watts per gallon.

2.) Co2 in the right amount and quantity.

3.) A rich fertile substrate.

When all 3 things come together, your plants begin to photosynthesize. They take in all the requirements, and give back o2. Which is the "pearling" you see on your leaves. It is a good thing. thumbs2:

snapdragon9
03-06-2008, 09:49 PM
what those bubbles are, is your plants giving off o2. If you have the necessary 3 things for growing plants, you in essence can boost the amount of oxygen in your tank to 120%.

These three things are needed for that.

1.) Plenty of light. 2-5 watts per gallon.

2.) Co2 in the right amount and quantity.

3.) A rich fertile substrate.

When all 3 things come together, your plants begin to photosynthesize. They take in all the requirements, and give back o2. Which is the "pearling" you see on your leaves. It is a good thing. thumbs2:

AdrianPaul32 (or anyone), what exactly can one do to increase the amount of CO2 in the aquarium?

Sasquatch
03-06-2008, 09:54 PM
Wow, I was hoping the new lighting would help the plants, but I never though it would be that much!

Just FYI, I've got a 26W and a 13W compact fluorescent bulb on my 10g. It's a little uneven since once side gets more light than the other, but the side with the 13W has Java fern, so it should be ok. It's a lot better than the single 15W T8 that came with the tank. No added CO2 and no ferts except a potassium/micronutrient supplement ... though I get the feeling I'll be using more ferts from now on!

doug z
03-06-2008, 10:13 PM
No CO2?

Interesting..

Adrian
03-06-2008, 10:34 PM
AdrianPaul32 (or anyone), what exactly can one do to increase the amount of CO2 in the aquarium?

co2 can be manufactured rather easily if you are willing to do a little chemistry experiment.

I believe there are some excellent articles here on this forum for a diy co2 injection system. I will get a link....

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=16485

If you need additional help, just pm me.

Ellen4God
03-07-2008, 02:44 AM
Wow!! that's pretty amazing. I'll have to try something like that...if I could get it to happen. I want to have a tank in my classroom when I start teaching in August, and it'd be GREAT to have the students see the plants produce o2 bubbles in the tank. That would be so exciting for them.

Sasquatch
03-07-2008, 02:10 PM
Just another quick question.

With the increased intensity, the light is going through the plant leaves and giving the whole tank a green color. It's not ugly, but I don't particularly like the effect on the tank, I prefer the whiter light of the CF bulbs.

Will the pigmentation of the leaves get more intense and soak up more of the light?

doug z
03-07-2008, 06:07 PM
The leaves will definitely get greener (well most will.. some plants turn other colours when they're "happy" with the amount of light they're getting)..

So, you can either go back to what you had before, or get some plants that have different coloured leaves, like red.. But keep in mind they need even MORE light, much more light, to grow..

Sasquatch
03-07-2008, 06:55 PM
I'm definatly not going back ... all the work I put into my DIY hood and I destroyed my old hood ... no going back!

I'll just keep up with the iron supplements and look into other ferts ... depends on what the water chemistry says this weekend. If my nitrates/phosphates are real low I'll get a supplement for them. Last weekend they were at 5ppm and 0.7 ppm (NO3 & PO4).

It's kinda funny looking into the tank ... you can see the light going through the leaves. I'll give them a week or so and see how they react ... if they don't get darker I'll get back to you.