PDA

View Full Version : 34g AIO cube build w/ pics

YankyTexan
03-06-2008, 07:43 PM
BACKGROUND: Ever since I saw the Solano 34g cube I was in love. Thus after much research, postings and questions I decided to build a version of it. I have never built anything with glass and/or acryllic so this is my 1st attempt at it.

View from the front:

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii245/YankyTexan/035.jpg

Top front view:

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii245/YankyTexan/038.jpg

Rear view with potential equipment:

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii245/YankyTexan/041.jpg

DETAILS:
The display area is 20"W x 15.5"D x 20"H and the filtration area is 20"W x 4.5"D x 20"H. The cube is made of 1/4" glass while the filtration area is made of 1/4" acryllic. I painted the main divider with Krylon Fusion. I plan to power it with a Rio 1700. It is rated at 600+ gph.

NEXT STEPS:
I am currently working on the base that will be 21"W x 21"D x 7.5"H. It will have a drawer for misc. supplies. The base is so short since the aquarium will reside upon an antique safe in my game/card room.
The canopy will be 21"W x 21"D x 5.5"H and will contain the lighting system which consists of five 15 watt 18" bulbs with a remote ballast. Both the base and canopy will be painted with black enamel.
The exterior of the filtration area will be painted with Krylon Fusion to minimize unwanted algea growth.

STOCKING PLANS:
Bkack substrate, heavily planted, school of neon tetras, with a plec & small catfish type to take care of cleaning up.

The only reason I was able to attempt this build is because of forums such as this. The information and expertise from others is invaluable. I appreciate all who have replied to my numerous posts.

FYI - the tank is currently sitting on top of the poker table I built last weekend. Anyone up for Texas Hold-em?

More pics to come. Thanks, Daniel

Ellen4God
03-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Wow! That's pretty neat. I don't know much about any of this, but it looks good to me (that doesn't carry much weight though lol). Good luck with everything you're putting into it!! I'm sure it'll turn out wonderfully. Keep us posted!!

gem
03-06-2008, 11:18 PM
Looks great. Have you filled it and tested for leaks yet?

YankyTexan
03-07-2008, 01:01 AM
gem - I am going to let the silicone cure 7 days to achieve maximum strength (atleast thats what the tube says). Thus I'll add water next weekend (If I can wait).

cabrego
03-07-2008, 03:31 AM
Nice Job!

Is the silicon strong enough to hold the tank together?
Do you plan on reinforcing the borders or top?
Did you simply clamp the pieces or something?

Dsoto87
03-07-2008, 03:33 AM
Ive always wanted to try and do this. Did you cut the glass yourself or did you get it cut

YankyTexan
03-07-2008, 03:53 AM
"Is the silicon strong enough to hold the tank together?"
Hope so. That is how the Solano and other rimless glass tanks are made.

"Do you plan on reinforcing the borders or top?"
The base n canopy will reinforce everything just for eaxtra insurance.

"Did you simply clamp the pieces or something?"
Tape held it together while the silicone cured

"Did you cut the glass yourself or did you get it cut?"
I had a local glass shop cut the five pieces to my specs. It was easier than I thought, although I must add I would be hesitant to attempt a significantly larger tank until I had done more small ones. I encourage you to give it a try.

Thank you both for your interest,
Daniel

jbeining75
03-07-2008, 04:29 AM
Nice tank. Hope it holds up for you.... Good luck!!!!!!

cabrego
03-07-2008, 04:49 AM
"Is the silicon strong enough to hold the tank together?"
Hope so. That is how the Solano and other rimless glass tanks are made.

"Do you plan on reinforcing the borders or top?"
The base n canopy will reinforce everything just for eaxtra insurance.

"Did you simply clamp the pieces or something?"
Tape held it together while the silicone cured

"Did you cut the glass yourself or did you get it cut?"
I had a local glass shop cut the five pieces to my specs. It was easier than I thought, although I must add I would be hesitant to attempt a significantly larger tank until I had done more small ones. I encourage you to give it a try.

Thank you both for your interest,
Daniel

What type of silicone are you using?

cocoa_pleco
03-07-2008, 04:50 AM
nutrafin makes silicone, and one type of GE silicone is safe

YankyTexan
03-07-2008, 05:29 AM
"What type of silicone are you using?"
It is made by GE, comes in a red tube and is titled

100% Silicone Sealant for Lexan sheet & other plastics

It is a high strength blend specifically for bonding acryllics and glass surfaces. No mold or fungus inhibitors added.

Would I place this DIY cube on my new hardwood flooring ... NO. It is going in the game/card room that has stained concrete floors to be on the safe side. The base and canopy being built as I type will act as add'l support. The base and top will actually overlap the cube by 1" and be siliconed in place.

I'm not sure if my reasoning is correct but here goes anyway:
there is 160 linear inches of silicone joints (not counting the acryllic filtration) holding the 5 pieces of glass to form the cube. The glass is 1/4" thick. So 160 * 1/4 = 40 sq. inches of surface for the silicone to bond/adhere to (and that doesn't count the generous amount placed in each 90 deg corner). Assume it holds 30 gallons of h2o * 8 pounds = 240 pounds of pressure. Assuming the pressure is exerting an equal amount of pressure in all five directions (front, back, left, right & down) that is 240 pounds / 40 sq. inches = 6 pounds of pressure per sq. inch of silicone sealant. Not much IMHO. The 40 sq. inches is greatly under estimated, a more accurate number would be closer to 80. I ran the numbers for my 150g and it works out to 9 pounds per sq. inch of silicone sealant. All I attempting to say is the pressure in a small tank is not that great.

Thank you everyone for your interest. I look forward to filling it up next week.

Dsoto87
03-08-2008, 04:28 AM

How much did it cost you for the glass and to get it cut?

I may have to start calling around

cocoa_pleco
03-08-2008, 04:30 AM
WICKED tank!

Dsoto, glass is pretty cheap, here 5 panels of glass to make a 34g cube would be no more than $50.

this thread makes me want to build a 34g cube!

YankyTexan
03-08-2008, 01:45 PM
Here is a run down of my costs:

1) 5 pcs of 1/4" glass (3 pcs 20x20 and 2 pcs 20x19.5") $78
2) 24"x48" 1/4" acryllic for filtration components $36
3) silicone $10
4) sand paper (various grits for polishing glass edges) $10
5) pvc fittings (for return spray bar) $5
6) Krylon Fusion paint (adheres to plastic and glass) $7

Total for tank/filter section (sales tax incl.) $146

I went the DIY route since the Solano 34g is deigned for saltwater applications (comes with a protien skimmer) and I wanted a different configuration for my filter media since this will be a planted neon tetra tank. If I was to go SW I'd just buy the Solano for $304 (tax incl) that includes pump, PS, filter media and ATO.

Although there is great satisfaction in creating something with your own hands. The other day my wife's response was "wow, that turned out better than I thought it would!" PMSL

Applying the final coats of finish to the base n canopy as I type. I'll have add'l pics up in no time.

I appreciate everyone's interest and enthusiasm.
Daniel

YankyTexan
03-09-2008, 10:47 PM
I finished the base and canopy this weekend. Currently water testing the system. No leaks yet.

Front view
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii245/YankyTexan/002.jpg

Cover removed
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii245/YankyTexan/005.jpg

Filtration area
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii245/YankyTexan/007.jpg

Another view
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii245/YankyTexan/010-1.jpg

DESIGN CONSIDERATIONS:
Given that it was designed as a heavily planted neon tetra tank I wanted
1) maximum flow for filtration
2) minimal surface agitation to conserve present CO2
3) minimal turbulence in display area for the comfort of the fish
The Solano 34g comes with a 400 gph pump. If 400 gph is good then 642 gph is better provided I adhere to the three design considerations detailed above. To accomplish this I designed/built a custom spray bay. The ID of the pump outlet is 5/8". I calculated the area of the outlet and multiplied by 10 so as to drastically reduce the speed of the water as it is returned to the display area. I then proceeded to drill approx. 100 3/16" holes in the water return bar positioning all of them so they hit the back wall or point straight down. This worked out better than expected during water testing. While a substantial amount of water flows through the filtration area the display area and surface remain very calm.

Base and canopy are constructed with poplar and finished with three coats of laquer enamel.

COST CONSIDERATIONS:
I know someone will ask so I'll just go ahead and summarize costs incurred thus far:
$78 five pcs of 1/4" glass
$36 one pc of 1/4" acryllic 24"x48"
$10 silicone
$10 sandpaper various grits (60, 100, 220, 400)
$7 Krylon Fusion
$10 two cans of spray laquer enamel
$34 poplar wood
$50 Rio 1700 return pump
$20 heater
The five bulb light system should easily come in under $100

The only way I would have attempted a project of this scope is because of forums such as these that have proved invaluable for resources and information.

Questions, comments and/or observations are welcomed.

Thanks,
Daniel

squirt_12
03-09-2008, 11:20 PM
Awesome tank. It looks like everything is going well. I can't wait to see what the final product looks like with the fish and plants in it. :thumb: