PDA

View Full Version : Tetra Missing

LosC
03-06-2008, 06:43 PM
I added 7 Neon Tetras to my tank yesterday, properly acclimated them for over an hour. Today I can only count 6, I been watching them and looking through my tank for a half hour now and still no 7th. I'm pretty sure the 7th is dead now, but where? Cannibalism?

PUNISHER VETTE
03-06-2008, 07:38 PM
If it's anything like my tank it's probably dead......

I've lost so many i've given up on them.

Bobo the Clown Loach
03-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Jumper? Did you check around the tank. I had a lemon tetra that I didn't find until it was a all dried out.

Adrian
03-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Neon tetras are very pretty fish. Get to 1.5 inches in length, and have one small but potential disheartening drawback. It is called neon tetra disease.

Water parameters could be spot on, everything good, and for some strange unknown reason, they just die. It has frustrated many an aquarist. Hence I stick with cardinals. Basically the same color, and much heartier. They just cost more, as they are more difficult to breed.

PUNISHER VETTE
03-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Neon tetras are very pretty fish. Get to 1.5 inches in length, and have one small but potential disheartening drawback. It is called neon tetra disease.

Water parameters could be spot on, everything good, and for some strange unknown reason, they just die. It has frustrated many an aquarist. Hence I stick with cardinals. Basically the same color, and much heartier. They just cost more, as they are more difficult to breed.

I just looked the disease up and i almost bet thats what i had with my fish. Funny swimming and what not.

LosC
03-07-2008, 05:17 AM
Checked the floor, still cant find my 7th neon. I think my Corys probably ate the corpse.

lasm
03-07-2008, 04:07 PM
Checked the floor, still cant find my 7th neon. I think my Corys probably ate the corpse.

Some times I freak out when count one less tetras that I'm suppose to. But I relax and count again. Those dudes move fast and if they are not schooling its hard to count them.

My corys do not eat dead fish. One otto was dead and lost for two days and they didn't even pay attention to the body, it was almost intact when I found it.

Hope you find it.

DragonGoby
03-07-2008, 04:14 PM
Have you check in your filter???
Yes, sound strange... But we thought we've lost a platy (and that's a big fish compare to the tetra)... But this girl just jump in our filter and was taken between the filter and the media... So who knows?

Hope it's something like that and not the tetra desease....

LosC
03-07-2008, 09:40 PM
I counted 7 today! So weird. The 7th I noticed today is the smallest tetra and doesn't seem to school with the others. The biggest Neon of them all is always nipping at the small one when he sees him. I watched the big guy today and I noticed he nips at all of them. They all look fine, colors are there and no twisted bodies but some of them have rather large bellies.

PUNISHER VETTE
03-07-2008, 10:08 PM
I put one out of his misery today.... It looked dead but when cleaning the glass it started moving again. Swooping in circles instead of swimming. Flushed him...

LosC
03-07-2008, 10:18 PM
T.D? Shoulda just got em between 2 rocks. I was thinkin of putting my Betta out yesterday as he was dying for a couple minutes. He did the samething your Tetras was doing. I touched him with scissors and he kicked back to life a few times. In my mind I thought of just cutting him in half but I don't know if that would've been less painful for him.