PDA

View Full Version : RCS tank

PinoyBoy
03-06-2008, 02:37 AM
k, right now i just ordered this from drfosterandsmith

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage~PageAlias~aquariums_tanks_jbj_pico tope.html

and im wonderin if their good for a shrimp tank?
ive heard that they tend to "jump" out the tank
and this tank has no lid on it, maybe a DIY might
help. oh and can i keep RCS with Amano, Ghost,
and/or a female Betta?

squirt_12
03-06-2008, 02:38 AM
yes that would be good for a shrimp tank. If you put a sponge (if you can or some sort of cloth to stop the shrimp larvae from being sucled up) on that filter and not have fish in it....the RCS shrimp will multiply like crazy. Just throw in some plants.

Drumachine09
03-06-2008, 02:39 AM
If you plan on keeping RCS, make sure you keep up on your waterchanges. They are very susceptible to nitrate poisoning.

PinoyBoy
03-06-2008, 03:52 AM
yeah i wanna have a female betta in it or some dwarf or pygm gourami...
just in case i get bored of the shrimp, oh another question:

SQUIRT just gave me the idea of putting like
a sponge on the filter intake, so its gonna be
like a spongefilter also, but the it goes throu
that pico powerfilter stuff... or should i just
get a different filter or that pico HOB is good
enough?

gem
03-06-2008, 04:24 AM
Is that the 3 gal picotope? You can also rubberband a piece of nylon pantyhose material over the intake. You need to just make sure you clean it off periodically. It would be less likely to be a nitrate factory and easier to clean. The spong in the pico hob can be rinsed out in w/c water.
As for a fish, I wouldn't put anything but maybe a betta in that. Or a few neons. You can get a tiny heater for them too. Walmart carries a non-adjustable heater for about $6. Keeps the tank right at 78. I used one on my pico reef.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-06-2008, 04:39 AM
Well, with the betta in with the shrimp, you may not have many shrimp left to get bored with. Bettas do tend to snack on shrimp frequently. Just be sure to give them plenty of cover or you won't have any left.

PinoyBoy
03-06-2008, 07:56 AM
oh yeah its gonna be planted, no C02 cause
im no science wiz and i dunt wanna spend
30 bucks on some C02 setup that i know notin
about...

yeah its gonna be planted. i was thinking like
javamoss or microsword or HC carpet with
a piece of drift wood that has some holes
in it and duckweed maybe? since its an open
tank and some stem plants for background
but that i hvnt decided yet...
lol long runon sentence.

that should be enough cover.

Fishalicious
03-06-2008, 10:03 AM
It would be fine for shrimp - happy shrimp don't jump ship :ezpi_wink1: I have mine in an open tank and have never had one leave me yet...

The tank has to be very well cycled before any shrimp can get their feet wet in it... even the slightest trace of nitrite will kill them.

Betta's and shrimp are not a good mix.. a pygmy sparkling gourami is an option but in a tank that size you are better just sticking to shrimp... you won't get bored with them.. they are wonderful to watch

squirt_12
03-06-2008, 12:30 PM
I agree with everyone. but I wouldn't use a rubberband as there is stuff in it that could harm the fish. I would use something else that will hold it in place. If you use the nylon idea.

jason 77
03-07-2008, 11:24 PM
Sorry for the question but what are "the RCS shrimp"?

Tolley
03-07-2008, 11:30 PM
Red cherry shrimp mate

jason 77
03-08-2008, 12:36 AM
AH thanks! :thumb: