PDA

View Full Version : Does this seem a little fishy?

shockshockshad
03-05-2008, 12:48 AM
I don't know when I even get the discus, but I have been looking around at the prices. They are like 40-50 dollars! But then I found this:http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwdiscus&1205105400 Is this someone who is just selling a ripoff? Or is it actually something worth getting? I think that I will just buy it, if I do get the discus anytime soon.

Adrian
03-05-2008, 12:51 AM
I don't know when I even get the discus, but I have been looking around at the prices. They are like 40-50 dollars! But then I found this:http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwdiscus&1205105400 Is this someone who is just selling a ripoff? Or is it actually something worth getting? I think that I will just buy it, if I do get the discus anytime soon.

Please bear in mind, that his/her shipping and handling charges would be astronimical. I have seen discus on ebay go for a dollar, but the shipping and handling was 99 dollars.

So before buying, ask what the shipping and handling charges are.

Also note: the buy it now price is 30 dollars. Tack on shipping and handling, and you are over 50.....so....might as well get the other ones locally......

jbeining75
03-05-2008, 12:52 AM
$30 plus $20 overnight shipping equals $50.00.... You have to remember shipping cost... Alot of the time online pet stores will be cheaper than local ones because they have to reduce their prices to allow for shipping costs to be competitive... I personally would not get discus shipped. They are a very weak fish and it is likely they will incure extreme stress....

shockshockshad
03-05-2008, 12:55 AM
I forgot about how sensitive they are. I will just get them at my LFS.

cocoa_pleco
03-05-2008, 01:40 AM
it doesnt sound fishy, some LFS here have discus $12

shockshockshad
03-05-2008, 12:37 PM
But 6 discus for $1 (for bidding) or 6 discus for $30 (for buying)????

SpyderSpy6
03-05-2008, 01:40 PM
The posts are correct even though they seem to be crazy! I would reccomend buying from you LFS. When you are buying the fish, you always want watch for how active they are. You'll want the ones that come up to the front of the tank too. If you can have your fish guy feed them while you are there, then you are able to see which ones are doing well. Another helpful tip is to always look at the eyes.

If the fish have been cared for correctly and have been in good water their eyes should be crystal clear, and they should have a personality to them even at the fish store. Some of that is common sense though... just thought I would pass it along.

You never know though, my brother took on a blind discus from a local breeder here... he has never seen the fish eat, both it's eyes are clouded over, it's not skinny (ever) and it's doing amazing! I don't know how but it must be picking up bits of food somewhere.

I would only resort to online purchases to get unique and distinct coloring that you are unable to find at your LFS. It's also very common to pay well over $50 -$75-$100 for a discus.

If you do want to purchase by bidding... I usually look for auctions where I could pick it up. This happens rarely, but you'd be surprised. Also try asking your LFS if they can order a specific fish for you. Then they take on the risk of shipment, acclimation, etc.

Thanks for the post... I never knew about aquabid.com!

Fishguy2727
03-05-2008, 02:06 PM
Six are available, not all in the same auction. $1 is the starting price and the reserve price is not met (means the reserve price may be $25-30).

cocoa_pleco
03-05-2008, 03:31 PM
But 6 discus for $1 (for bidding) or 6 discus for $30 (for buying)????

it looks to me like its one discus, and theres probably a reserve of at least $15-$20 so that he doesnt get screwed over. thats what happens on ebay, someone puts a 150g reef on ebay, starts bidding at $500, and when only one person bids to $550 and the tank is worth $3000 theres a reserve, the seller doesnt get screwed over

Incredulous_Ed
03-05-2008, 08:25 PM
There is a reserve price, so it's not as good as a price as it may seem. I would buy discus locally though.

Algenco
03-05-2008, 08:37 PM
I'll bet the reserve is very close to the "Buy Now" price

shockshockshad
03-05-2008, 09:09 PM
I was going to do the "buy now" anyway. But I am going to the LFS on saturday. I will check the prices there.