PDA

View Full Version : julidochromis transcriptus sexing?

snapdragon9
03-04-2008, 11:16 PM
I just picked up a juli, or referred to as the 'masked gombi'. I have him in a
20L with a sandy substrate. In the future I would like to try and breed them. Is there any physical characteristics that are discernable if they are male or female? I've looked online quite a bit and can't find anything!! Also, about ph buffer, (increasers) how do they work and what brand is a good one to try for cichlids that like a really high ph?

Ben_Jam_In
03-05-2008, 04:44 AM
at just pets in appleton there is a ph buffer for you family of cichlids i think it is 10 15 bucks mybe cheaper not sure if it works tho.

snapdragon9
03-06-2008, 04:08 AM
Isn't Appleton water generally really hard to begin with? My pH went acidic again, and maybe that is due to not enough O2 in the water or not enough water disturbance. So I just did another water change, hopefully that did it. But I wouldn't know how to raise the pH any higher than 7 other than water changes, I do have slate in the tank yet I think that process takes longer.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-06-2008, 04:40 AM
Ever vented a fish? That's probably the easiest way to tell.

snapdragon9
03-06-2008, 09:52 PM
What exactly is venting a fish?!

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-06-2008, 10:19 PM
It's when you look at the underside of the fish. There are 2 holes there, one is the vent and the other is the anus. The Vent is the hole towards the front of the fish, and in females this hole is larger than the anus, in males it is the same size. So it looks like this:
o_o = male
O_o = female