PDA

View Full Version : Dying Gourami - Need Urgent Help!!!

AABatteries
03-04-2008, 09:00 PM
I just went and looked and my flame gourami is like swimming upside and flipping around, I'm pretty sure he's dying and I cant help but plz help before its too late. Ill have to get a pick of him before he dies. :scry:

shalafi04
03-04-2008, 09:11 PM
well whats the situation... what are the water perameters, is there something wrong you are totally missing.... maybe you should fill an empty tank with some treated water and see if he straightens out. if its ammonia or a nitrite problem it might help. with some stress coat perhaps...

AABatteries
03-04-2008, 09:13 PM
All my other fish are fine also I tested pH last week and its fine. I dont have anything to test ammonia.

shockshockshad
Probably swim bladder, but that is all I know. Sorry I can't help you!

jbeining75
aqua post your ph, nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia levels..... Have you added any new fish? Does he have any open flesh wounds? Is his belly swollen or red?

shalafi04
03-04-2008, 09:15 PM
it could be swim bladder hmmm.... I say do a large water change, in case it is avtually ammonia or trite problems, than maybe give him some peas if he's still eating, cause that will help if it is just a swim bladder problem

AABatteries
03-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Probably swim bladder, but that is all I know. Sorry I can't help you!
Thats what I was thinking. Also I know the pH is 6.6 or 6.4. Also I got him 2 days ago alogn with a powder blue gourami. Also one of his whiskers is shorter than the other.

shalafi04
03-04-2008, 09:16 PM
pH isn't a huge problem as long as its constant... and a .2 change in ph wouldn't effect him like that... so i wouldn't stress the ph too much. Id go out and get a master test kit though

jbeining75
03-04-2008, 09:16 PM
Try to feed him boiled peas to see if that will help. Also put some aquarium salt in the tank at 1 tablespoon per 5 US gallons.....

shalafi04
03-04-2008, 09:17 PM
is he still eating?

AABatteries
03-04-2008, 09:21 PM
I dont think he can eat, also he was rather cheap and the test kit would be a waste, but I hate to lose a fish. Also if he has a chance of surviving I ocould set up a small 5 ½ gallon tank, it would have no heater or filter though.

jbeining75
03-04-2008, 09:25 PM
If he has swim bladder add salt to the tank....

AABatteries
03-04-2008, 09:27 PM
Aquarium salt or regular salt? :P

AABatteries
03-04-2008, 09:43 PM
BUMP, might've not needed

I think I got into a fight his eye looks beat up. And as I said one whisker was shorter.

TowBoater
03-04-2008, 09:44 PM
If your not going to get a master test kit then you don't need to ask us really for help, we need to know your paramounts when you have trouble and you are suppose to check them at least weekly. Sorry if im rude but I am trying to help.

Pr0eve
03-04-2008, 11:11 PM
Swimming on it's side and flipping around sounds like that one fish disease that is spread by a spur and is incurable, I can’t remember the name of it, but Dave66 mentioned it to me one time.

and I agree with Kuli_Loach, you should be testing your water often.

karbomb
03-04-2008, 11:25 PM
yeah, as kuli_loach said test kits are not just for sick fish, it's probably the number 1 way to prevent sickness and death in fish. checking your water parameters weekly is extremely beneficial to the health of your tank.
do not put him in a 5g without a heater, he is a tropical fish, he needs a heater.

kitten3326
03-05-2008, 02:58 AM
Can you tell us a little more about what he looks like, it could be possible that he has contracted a illness known as dropsy. Dropsy is a condition with several possible causes. I will include a link, this will describe what this condition looks like. But the other members are correct, the cost of a simple test kit will help us and you diagonse future conditions. Alot of problems are caused by poor water conditions.

Here is the link

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/hddropsy.htm

AABatteries
03-05-2008, 02:23 PM
My parents say we dont need test kit buy I've always wanted one. Also I have good and bad new. Good first, he made it through the night. Bad news, he was laying n his said on the gravel breathing hard. Can't I take some water down to a pet/fish store and have it tested?

sailor
03-05-2008, 02:36 PM
You can but do you really want to run down to the lfs every time you think you might have a water problem. A test kit is a small price to pay for a greater piece of mind. It is part of the responsability of keeping an aquarium.

lasm
03-05-2008, 04:21 PM
You can but do you really want to run down to the lfs every time you think you might have a water problem. A test kit is a small price to pay for a greater piece of mind. It is part of the responsibility of keeping an aquarium.

I agree with sailor, get a test kit. I went through the same. I didn't test my water parameters. I though it wasn't necessary since for almost a year I never had problems. When I had problems was when I discovered this forum, and everybody told me that it was necessary to test the water parameters.

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU GUYS... I discovered what to be a fish keeper means. My fish went from managing to survive to THRIVE... that I think is the goal of all fish keepers. I discovered the pleasure not only to have fish, but to better understand them. Its much more fun now.

Pr0eve
03-05-2008, 06:08 PM
My fish went from managing to survive to THRIVE:

that is spot ON right there....

Tigerbarb
03-05-2008, 11:56 PM
Try feeding him veggies like peas. It works on betas, and it might work on gouramis too.

AABatteries
03-06-2008, 02:19 PM
He died :scry: but I got another one, he looks fine! :ssmile:

lasm
03-06-2008, 04:09 PM
He died :scry: but I got another one, he looks fine! :ssmile:

I hope this one does O.K. good luck.

AABatteries
03-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Thanks he's my smallest one (not that small) and has the biggest eyes, he is SO cute.

AABatteries
03-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Thanks, I just read that the powder blue and flame gourami, only get up to 2in long, mine are probably 2½ or 3 in same with my blue and gold, but they still have more growing to do.