PDA

View Full Version : convict /jewel????

Arkie
03-04-2008, 04:57 AM
i have an albino male convict in my tank with numerous other cichlids and one of them is a female jewel cichlid. i found them today lip-locking and chasing each other around the tank and was curious as to whether or not these two fish are trying to breed? if so is it possible that the eggs will be fertilized and produce healthy fry?
thanx for any responses thumbs2:

gem
03-04-2008, 05:06 AM
Lip locking could have a couple meanings. They could be spatting over territory, or yes, possibly courting. Whether they ever spawn of not.....it's possible. Hybridism is always possible. Look at Parrot cichlids for example. I had a friend who's female convict spawned with a male firemouth. The other fish in the tank at the fry, so who knows if they would have grown out into (interesting) but healthy fry. I the case of Parrot cichlids, IMO they are a hybrid gone terribly wrong.
It's not natural in the wild for fish to pair up and spawn with fish of other species. But, an aquarium isn't exactly a natural environment. So, species follow instinct sometimes and spawn with what's convenient to them. So, yes it's possible. As for health of the fry....that's probably a Dave66 question. LOL

Dave66
03-04-2008, 05:07 AM
Well, the convicts are from Central America and the Jewels from West Africa, and being completely different species and from different Genus clades, I doubt they'd spawn, and if so, I doubt it'd be viable, and one would try to kill the other when eggs are laid, since Convicts are pretty tough, but Jewels are savage monsters when they breed.
Could have been just a fight for tank dominance, not a come hither gesture.

Dave

gem
03-04-2008, 05:10 AM
You don't think they could/would Dave?

Arkie
03-04-2008, 05:10 AM
thanx guys... im a little dissapointed lol i wanted to see what theyd breed but im glad they wont spawn as i dont wanna have to move them to a seperate tank. ill just leave them to it then :wink2: