PDA

View Full Version : Betta acting oddly?

cuticom
10-09-2006, 05:07 AM
We recently redid the Betta set up, and Zen was moved from his tank into a glass vase type bowl. We are having trouble with the bowls, filling with algae extremely quickly and are now looking at alternatives, but now Zen is looking odd.

No matter how he tries, he cant dive down from the surface, and he spends time just leaning against the bowl, he isnt upside down, just too floaty.

I'm guessing its something to do with his swim bladder? I used to have red head goldfish that did this, except they kept going fully upside down, where as Zen is still right side up.

Would this be caused by the algae build up in the bowls? I have a single spare Betta keeper I can put either Zen or Yen (another betta in the same style of bowl) in, and we can buy another. None of the other Bettas are showing any signs of illness.

EDIT- just found another site, a few days ago, while cleaning his bowl, he somehow jumped out, I'm not sure how he did it, But he landed on the table, it was only like a drop of 10 cm but could that ahve ruptured his swim bladder? any chance of it healing? or will he just live his life out being all floaty? he can still eat and all that

This is the set up, Zen is in the bowl on the far left, then Ying, Yang and Yen on the far right.
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g125/glimmercavies/Mycagesasof20-9-06003resize.jpg

Emma

Lady Hobbs
10-09-2006, 05:30 AM
Nice looking set up there. Try giving him some mashed up cooked frozen peas. Does sound like he has swim bladder.

betta mom
10-11-2006, 05:01 PM
if your tanks are by the window that will cause algea the grow very fast . and also they don't like to be in direct sun light . like hobbs said try the pea . also put aquarium salt in his tank . :ezpi_wink1: