PDA

View Full Version : Chasing the other barbs

Litespeed
03-03-2008, 11:21 PM
We have one tiger barb that is chasing all the other barbs except a female green barb, which apparently he has laid claim too. All the other barbs are afraid of him and hiding. We even have one big boy (green barb) that is quite a bit larger then the one doing the chasing, but since he is the new kid on the block he hides too. Will the chasing ever end and they start to school again?

jb300m01
03-04-2008, 03:52 AM
Mine chase each other when they are... ahem... trying to get some. They'll even fight (spin in tight circles). I think it's normal, just give them a few days to get over it.

Dave66
03-04-2008, 03:59 AM
We have one tiger barb that is chasing all the other barbs except a female green barb, which apparently he has laid claim too. All the other barbs are afraid of him and hiding. We even have one big boy (green barb) that is quite a bit larger then the one doing the chasing, but since he is the new kid on the block he hides too. Will the chasing ever end and they start to school again?

Lite,
Your problem is you have just three Tiger Barbs. They will ALWAYS do that kind of stuff when not in a proper school of eight or more. Little too late to add five more at this point, since once a Tiger Barb learns he can chase other fish, he'll always do it. I suppose you could take the three back and get eight more if you want to avoid the problem you're having now.
If you read my barb primer, you'll see exactly what you're experiencing and how to cure it.

Dave

Litespeed
03-04-2008, 04:30 PM
I have 3 tiger barbs and 2 green barbs in the tank. Everything I have read says that they will all be the same, since they all belong to the same "family". In another week or so we will be adding two albino barbs.