PDA

View Full Version : Pond Snails

Kosch
03-03-2008, 08:43 PM
Hi All,

With having most of our tanks planted, just got our first batch of hitchhikers, 3 pond snails.

I know everyone says they are pest, but, I like them. I think they are cute and fun to watch, and I absolutely cannot and will not bring myself to crushing, bleaching, or just toss them away.

So with that, does anyone have any more humane (or at least more natural) way to control them? They are not out of hand now, they are in a 5 gallon fake-planted tank and just cruising around, but as I understand it they will get out of hand, so I'm looking for options.

We do have a single goldfish, but I've heard mixed thoughts on the goldfish eating them. He is already a picky eater, and not very big at this point, so might not work out.

Second idea is to setup a puffer tank. We've been wanting one for awhile, and this might just be the excuse to do it. I figure if the snails are small enough then a dwarf puffer would be fine, but may go with a regular SGP.

While I wouldn't be to keen on tossing cute little snails to a cute little puffer, at least its more natural in a food-chain sense.

Any other thoughts? I don't particularly want to just "nuke" the snail population with chemicals, I'd prefer a way to just limit their population.

Thanks all!

Bryan

angelcakes
03-03-2008, 08:47 PM
we get snails in our pond but they dont last for long as the koi eat them,i'd let your fish eat them as they are a natural food source for them,maybe pretty but they can be pests,:thumb:

Adrian
03-03-2008, 09:00 PM
As these snails are definately out of their natural habit, and their natural preditors, I would say you are going to have a huge problem within a short period of time. They multiply very quickly, and as Lady Hobbs can attest to, are very hard to irradicate once settled in. Yes, cute, neat, and interesting. Reminds me of Jurassic park when eon says, "yes, first there is ooooh, and ahhh...then there's running and screaming!"

My suggestion, get a yoyo loach, or something that will cut the population down, or.....take the little hitchhikers back to the store from which they came, and get some mystery snails. Those don't multiply like rabbits, and are easier by far to control.

angelcakes
03-03-2008, 09:04 PM
apologies ive read your post wrong you confused me ponds.........lol
as there in a tank invest in some yoyo loaches they like snails,

ncbuckeye
04-01-2008, 02:47 AM
ow long does it take for pond snails to breed, I feel the same way Kosch, I have some crayfish I'm hoping will keep the population down, if not I'm going for some loaches, I like the idea of having some kind of natural food chain in one of my tanks. Plus the snail shell would be a good source of calcium for the crays as well.