PDA

View Full Version : Under gravel heater for planted tank?

PUNISHER VETTE
03-03-2008, 08:07 PM
I'm looking into things to look for used/cheap before i upgrade my tank this summer.(heater, filter,...)

I have a nice stealth heater but didn't know if an undergravel filter would be a lot better for when i have my next tank.

xoolooxunny
03-03-2008, 08:10 PM
I'm looking into things to look for used/cheap before i upgrade my tank this summer.(heater, filter,...)

I have a nice stealth heater but didn't know if an undergravel filter would be a lot better for when i have my next tank.

I'm not sure what you're asking about here, an under gravel heater (substrate heater) or a filter. if its the filter you want to know about, dont waste your time, if its the substrate heater you want, invest your time!! I have one and they are great.

PUNISHER VETTE
03-03-2008, 08:13 PM
heater

like this:
http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18534/si1380871/cl0/redsearoottherm400heatingcable

Adrian
03-03-2008, 08:13 PM
No to the undergravel filter, destroys the root system of plants. Undergravel heaters are great for many different plant species, and encourages plant growth all around.

Also, the undergravel heaters disperse heat a lot better than any other heater, as the heat comes up from the bottom of the substrate mostly uniformally. No hot spots.

cocoa_pleco
03-03-2008, 09:24 PM
the heater is good because it evenly disperts it and the plants get some of the heat too

PUNISHER VETTE
03-03-2008, 10:07 PM
That settles it. I'm going to pick one up one of these days and this summer i'm going to be ready:thumb:

smaug
03-03-2008, 10:10 PM
Just a heads up,they are for the plants roots,they do not produce a great amount of heat and are not meant to be used to heat the tank itself.

PUNISHER VETTE
03-03-2008, 10:15 PM
Just a heads up,they are for the plants roots,they do not produce a great amount of heat and are not meant to be used to heat the tank itself.
yeah i bought a nice 250watt stealth that should be good for up to 80gallons or so. IF those two together can't handle it i'll have to get another one.

I'm looking to get a tank about 100 gallons so thats what i'm basing my stuff on.

doug z
03-03-2008, 10:44 PM
I'm getting a Hydor 50w (any higher wattage and there's a risk of scorching the plant roots) cable heater myself for my 75g..

Just be SURE to get a thermostat for it! I notice this unit doesn't have one, which is odd..

Dave66 was adamant that without one, there is a great risk of the cable shorting out, and then you have A) a useless cable heater, and B) you have to dig it all out of there!