PDA

View Full Version : Egg Yolk

B_Ez
03-03-2008, 05:12 PM
I've read in different forums that fish like cooked egg yolks. Is that true and would it be ok for them to eat something like that every so often, but not regularly?

xoolooxunny
03-03-2008, 07:51 PM
I would assume that would be ok for carnivorous fish, as well as omnivores. After all, there is cooked animal matter in store bought food.

angelcakes
03-03-2008, 07:53 PM
ive not heard of this before but im going to keep coming into this thread to find out!!thumbs2:

B_Ez
03-04-2008, 09:50 PM
Any experts wanna chime in? :-)

Fishalicious
03-04-2008, 09:56 PM
I have fed egg yoke to fry - have never heard of feeding it to adult fish before. You have to be very careful with egg yoke - if the fish don't eat it.. it can pollute the water very quickly.

Fishalicious
03-04-2008, 09:59 PM
To prepare this yolk food, start by hardboiling an egg. Remove the shell and egg white — all you need is the yolk. Place a small piece of the yolk in a small container with water (unused yolk can go into a sealed container in the refrigerator), and shake the container vigorously. When you agitate the water the yolk should dissolve, and you now have a suspended food that you can feed your fry.

If necessary, pass the mixture through a cloth to sift out any remaining larger pieces of yolk. You can then pour the egg yolk solution directly into the tank. It will typically remain suspended in the water for some time and will be eaten ravenously by most baby fish.

A single egg yolk could feed a batch of baby guppies for months. Of course, egg yolk won’t last that long in the fridge; discard any remaining yolk that begins to decompose. Also, do not add too much yolk to your mixture or add too much food to the tank, as it can cause pollution.

One problem with egg yolk is that some of the suspended yolk might be too big for the smallest fry to fit it into their mouths. Even after sifting, some pieces come out too large, so there may be less food to eat and more potentially water-fouling, uneatable food.

You can also feed Powdered Egg yolk.

B_Ez
03-04-2008, 10:48 PM
Ok, thanks! Maybe what I was reading was for babies and not adults. I dunno. But thanks for all the info folks.

AquaBANG
03-05-2008, 04:33 AM
I feed my guppy fry with egg yolk solution. I follow the method that Fishalicious explained above.