PDA

View Full Version : Thought things where settling down....

PUNISHER VETTE
03-03-2008, 04:04 PM
Well when i was first starting to add the tetra i'm guessing my tank hadn't cycled so they were hard to get established. kept adding a few every week or two until i had 14.

Just recently i put in a plant and now 2 have died for sure and i can't seem to find 1 so....

I'm going to do a water change even though i don't think i should have to do that every week no matter what just so these guys wont die... I have been doing it every week so it was probably either the plant or something else this time....

sailor
03-03-2008, 04:12 PM
I am sorry for your losses. What type of tetra?
I don't think adding the plant would do that.
I would not add any more fish until you are certain that your cycle is finished.
Adding more fish to a uncycled tank increases the bio load to a system that can't keep up with the converting process.
Water changes should be done on a weekly basis. It doesn't matter how long the tank has been established, it is a good practice to get into.

jbeining75
03-03-2008, 04:12 PM
It is really hard to tell vette. Are all your levels normal??

PUNISHER VETTE
03-03-2008, 04:25 PM
yeah. levels are always well within range. The neon tetras just seem fragile i guess.

I think one died because it was faulty. Every time it ate it would swim funny and looked like it had to work harder to stay from floating to the top. I'm sure it just got tired of swimming one day and gave up.

The 13 that i did have where in there at least a month.... I'm sure the tank had cycled by then.

swales
03-03-2008, 05:08 PM
How were the neons acclimated to the tank?

PUNISHER VETTE
03-03-2008, 05:13 PM
How were the neons acclimated to the tank?

they've been in there for weeks so that shouldn't matter. The local fish store is no more then a few blocks from here and said my water is just like theirs.

I let the temp get adjusted. Add a scoop of my water every few mins. to the bag. Then drain it all through a net and quickly put them in the tank. Keep the light off for the rest of the day to reduce stress.

Weekly water changes. Heavily planted which should also help with the bad chemicals. feed them 2 times a day,

...just doesn't make sense....

travie
03-03-2008, 08:30 PM
I would say probably unhealthy neon even if it didn't look sick.

lasm
03-04-2008, 04:21 PM
In my experience, neons are a very hardy fish. None of mine have died since I got them, which is close to a year now. Maybe yours was already sick or injured.