PDA

View Full Version : Angelfish the New Guppies!

Fishalicious
03-03-2008, 12:07 PM
Arghhhhh I am going nuts here... my Angelfish are not yet of fully grown but they will not STOP spawning... the first few times were great but now me and my other fish are tiring of it....

I bought 4 angelfish babies who are now around the 7 month mark in age - I have ended up luckily as some might say with 2 pairs but unluckily for all the other fish - each pair breeds at each end of the tank and the other fish are all stuck in the middle and get battered from left to right like a tennis match.

If you consider Angels can live for 10-15 years then this is going to be a nightmare - both pairs are breeding every 2-3 weeks and my tank is swamped with Angels now... I purposely left the Pimpelodus Pictus catfish and larger tetra's in the tank in the hope some eggs or babies would be picked off but it seems they are too well fed to bother about eggs or baby fish.

As much as I love them they are either going to have to go to a good home (someone who reallllllly want to breed) or they will have to have their own tank where I will be forced to remove the eggs now and again.

I have bred so many different fish and it is always a pleasure but these guys are like guppies - never in my wildest dreams did I think Angels would breed to this extent seeing there are constant posts of people trying to get them to breed!!

Ok venting over... I am just at my wits end with these guys LOL

fins_n_fur
03-03-2008, 12:32 PM
OMG - If I didn't mind spawners, I'd take a pair, but I don't want to turn my house into an angel hatchery LOL Besides, I'm way too inexperienced.

It's a bummer they aren't super rare where they would cost buyers 250 euros a fish--you'd be in the money big time :c12:

It's unfortunate neutering is not an option LOL I feel for yah! BTW, where did you buy the young spawners? I'm avoiding that shop or that breeder LOL

Fishalicious
03-03-2008, 01:09 PM
I really can't persuade you to take a beautiful couple Fins? :ezpi_wink1: :ezpi_wink1: :ezpi_wink1:

Get 1 couple and I'll put in 20 babies for free seeing it is you thumbs2:

fins_n_fur
03-03-2008, 01:16 PM
LOL What a deal that would be :19: :19: You are far too generous LOL

minichnk
03-03-2008, 02:58 PM
aww i wish i had a boy angle fish to give my two girls some loving

siymdapolio
03-03-2008, 04:07 PM
Sorry about that, That would be abnoxious. I really like the way you described how they controlled the corners of the tank and batter other fish like a tennis match. WELL SAID thumbs2: thumbs2:

Maybe sell them in BULK for way cheap to a fish store!

jbeining75
03-03-2008, 04:14 PM
Store credit at the local fish store. I'd love spawning angels. They sell like crazy here. I could get new tanks galore......... Good luck with controlling the situation though Jess....

supun
03-03-2008, 11:19 PM
Hi Jess,

I feel for ya.. It is amazing how your angels are spawning like crazy, and i have 2 pairs who still havent hatched babies yet!!
Whereabouts do you live? I would love to have your spawning angel pair!!

NickFish
03-04-2008, 12:57 AM
Lol, you here with your angels spawning too much, then somewhere else on the forum complaining their angels won't spawn at all, breeding seems like one big mess.

Maybe if you dropped the water changes down and fed poor quality food they'd stop. :wink2:

Just kidding of course, are there any lfs that would take them? Even just for credit? Angels are in pretty high demand.

KazAngel
03-17-2008, 01:29 AM
I had the same as you two breeding pairs at each end of the tank and yes it is very much like a tennis match isn't it lol. I ended up setting up another tank for one of the pairs. And I'm in the process of setting up another tank so the second pair can have their own place too. I know what its like trying to bring kids up in a full house. lol!!

LilysDad
03-24-2008, 07:43 PM
As others have said, My couples lay and then eat their eggs. How close to 'underwater' is Illinois? What kind of Angels are they?

Fishalicious
03-24-2008, 08:00 PM
Unfortunately Underwater is in The Netherlands - Europe.... They are Scalare ... I have had to remove 3 sets of eggs again this week - arghhhhh

Algenco
03-24-2008, 08:47 PM
mine spawn all the time, I had a first this week, one pair in my community tank laid their eggs on the underside of an anubias nana leaf! I didn't see them but they would have had to be upside down to put them where they did