PDA

View Full Version : Breeding of Pangasius Suchi

TETRA AQUA
10-08-2006, 09:39 AM
Hello my dear Fouram members,

Could smoeone please can tell me how to find the differences of the male and the female of Pangasius Suchi, and the breeding procedure.

Thank you and best regards,

TETRA

TETRA AQUA
10-08-2006, 09:50 AM
Dear fouram members,

Please some help me to find the differences between male and the female Pangasius Suchi, and the breeding system of them lengthly.

And the same time I would like to know the differences of male and female arowana and the breeding system

Hope I get my answer as soon as possible,

Thanks and best regards,

TETRA AQUA

William
10-12-2006, 08:03 PM
Pangasius Suchi has as far as I known not been breed naturally in aquariums.

jobaldia
03-27-2010, 08:21 AM
It is difficult to distinguish the male from the female pangasius when they are young because they do not exhibit secondary sex characteristics. It is only when they are mature which usually takes 3 years in a tropical country can one distinguish them. The males when pressed geently at thee belly will release milt while the females will have distended belly when gravid (pregnant)

I never really bother distinguishing thee male from thee female arowanas. We just place them in a community hoping that there will be males and females. Arowanas are mouth brooders like tilapia. we simply collect the eggs from theeir mouth and put them in incubators to develop. One female will produce about 80-100 eggs. The eggs are quite big and resembles a yellow corn kernel.

jobaldia
03-27-2010, 08:29 AM
Yes, Pangasius are induced to spawn. In other words, they are injected with hormones for them to ovulate (release their eggs). The eggs are stripped in a small basin. they are then fertilized by stripping thee male and mixing the eggs with thee milt of the male. The eggs are then placed in incubators.