PDA

View Full Version : Log off while typing in a post or PM

gem
03-03-2008, 05:37 AM
I've tried to answer a thread before and was typing a reply and when I was done, I hit send. It tells me I am logged off and erases everything. Did that to me today when I was PMing Dave66. Seems if you want to say more than a couple sentances....the board logs you off.
Is there anyway to oust that default? It's kind of a pain....and is actually what's kept me from posting on here much at all after I joined. It got kind of annoying.
No offense meant....just saying it would be more user friendly without that glitch.
: )

cocoa_pleco
03-03-2008, 05:51 AM
hmmm, thats weird, PM william

fins_n_fur
03-03-2008, 05:54 AM
Possibly silly questions, but do you tick or check the "Remember me" box when you log in and what browser are you using?

gem
03-03-2008, 05:58 AM
It's always been that way since I joined. I don't think I have "remember me" checked. Can't see how that would make a difference. But I'll try that.
I'm using IE.

fins_n_fur
03-03-2008, 06:03 AM
With Safari (iMac), the same thing happened to me until I started to check the "remember me" box when logging in. After a certain amount of time, it seemed that it just logged me out, sometimes after typing a post. Try ticking the box each time you log in to see if that makes a difference--Could also be a cookies setting, but I'd prefer not to go there :ezpi_wink1: I don't think that the forum is out to get you :c10:

cocoa_pleco
03-03-2008, 06:13 AM
yeah, maybe clear your cookies and cache

i hit the always log me in box too

jbeining75
03-03-2008, 06:15 AM
Mine will go back to the login screen after 10 minutes or so but I have never had a problem with a small post kicking me out. That is wierd....

cichlid22c
03-03-2008, 06:21 AM
yeah, maybe clear your cookies and cache

i hit the always log me in box too

i didnt know we had one where is it or do mean the remember me box

fins_n_fur
03-03-2008, 06:22 AM
It's immediately to the right of where you type your username and password :ezpi_wink1: I think he meant Remember me, but I need more coffee, so maybe not LOL

Drumachine09
03-03-2008, 06:36 AM
I think its got to be some sort of continuation error with your cookies, or that you didn't check the remember me box.

It does it to me every time I clear my cookies.

Clear your cookies, log on, checking the remember me box, and send a PM to someone. It should log you out. Thats ok. Log in again, and remember to check the box again, and you should be fine.

crackatinny
03-03-2008, 06:54 AM
I'm using IE, and don't have that prob, I have remember me ticked though.

gem
03-04-2008, 05:37 AM
It only does it if I'm typing a long post or long PM. I'll try the suggestions made here...but I can't see that having anything to do with it. Doesn't happen at any other forum I'm on. Only this one. thanks.

jphonger
03-04-2008, 05:41 AM
it happens to me sometimes. I just login, then hit the back button on my web browser and it will bring me back to my post that I was writing, then, i hit submit and it goes through. I don't know if it will work for you, but it is worth a try.
Hope that helps!

gem
03-04-2008, 05:44 AM
Hmmm Ok...I'll tey that too. Thanks.

siymdapolio
03-04-2008, 03:38 PM
I've tried to answer a thread before and was typing a reply and when I was done, I hit send. It tells me I am logged off and erases everything. Did that to me today when I was PMing Dave66. Seems if you want to say more than a couple sentances....the board logs you off.
Is there anyway to oust that default? It's kind of a pain....and is actually what's kept me from posting on here much at all after I joined. It got kind of annoying.
No offense meant....just saying it would be more user friendly without that glitch.
: )

I was replying to a thread yesterday and this happened to me, I was writing a little more than usual and it signed me off before i pressed submit reply. I don't see how checking the remember me box because this seems to be a time out problem. This site does not recognize the typing as an activity, were as clicking on the buttons and urls keeps you active and logged on. There is a time out setting that could be increased

Blue Ram
03-04-2008, 05:41 PM
It happens to me alot. Its annoying. I started typing longs posts/PM's in word then copy and paste to here now.

siymdapolio
03-04-2008, 05:49 PM
It happens to me alot. Its annoying. I started typing longs posts/PM's in word then copy and paste to here now.
That is what I did when it first happened to me COPY AND PASTE THAT STUFF!!!

I still believe that it is a timeout problem, but I haven't administrated a forum site.

[CS 1.6 inactive, dropped due to inactivity!!!]

doug z
03-04-2008, 05:56 PM
One thing I do if I'm typing in something long-winded ANYWHERE is highlight everything I've written, R-click, and hit "Copy"..

That way if something happens I can always just start again and hit "Paste"

EDIT: Whoops.. Looks like great minds think alike.. :)

cocoa_pleco
03-04-2008, 11:43 PM
yeah, i do that too, my one computer is on wireless internet, and it clicks out for 2 seconds every couple of minutes, i HATE IT when i post a 20 paragraph quick reply and the internet clicks out then, i always CRTL+C!

Nautilus291
03-04-2008, 11:48 PM
Huh? Ive never had this problem at all.

Radio KJ
03-05-2008, 02:17 AM
I'm trying to reply, but I keep getting logged out.

*Just kidding*

Once a few weeks ago I couldn't stay logged in for any length of time, but since then I've had no problems. I just assumed the server was having troubles. I don't save cookies since this isn't a private computer, so I just don't log in until it's necessary.

kitten3326
03-05-2008, 02:20 AM
It has also happened to me on occassion and I have always made sure my remember me is checked. It is also only on responses that are long winded.

gem
03-05-2008, 03:21 AM
I'm thinking that their server is set to time out if you aren't navigating for a certain period of time. Only happens when I'm typing a somewhat longer post. Never had it happen on any other forum I have been on. Odd...but Dave gave me some tips for when I need to write something longer. : )

William
03-05-2008, 08:20 PM
It is strange. I never had this problem either. (but that is likely beause I have it set to always remember me so that i never have to login, a setting that might not work as well on shared computers)

I will look into extending the time of inactivity. (writing is inactivity as far as the site knows as you doesn't send any requests to the server while you are doing it)

I will add it to the list of things i will try to fix next week.

fraggle
03-06-2008, 02:36 AM
I've had the same problem gem, typing a PM or post and it says I'm not logged on. It doesn't do it when i tick "remember me" but I don't like doing that on a shared computer, so if it's long post that I was to type, I have to wait til I get home to do it.
I'd wondered about that too, just didn't ask anybody! I thought that typing would keep you active, but it obviously doesn't.

gem
03-06-2008, 03:51 AM
Cool William. Thanks for looking into that. I keep forgetting to try the remember me thing. I'm not on a shared computer...so no prob to do that. Anyway, thanks.

sanddigger
03-08-2008, 01:52 AM
I've had the same problem (I think)...I'll reply, get distracted, finish my reply, hit "submit" and all is gone. I found to hit "preview" in between keeps me going. :ssuprised: I thought I was the only one.

Lady Hobbs
03-08-2008, 06:37 AM
I've been PMing all day and never had that happen. I have the feeling that your computer thinks it is idle and logging you off. Check your setting to "never" log you off and that should take care of it.

control panel
network or internet
setup or change
settings
properties
options
in the box where it says idle time.......set to "never"

You might have it set to knock you out too soon.

gem
03-08-2008, 05:03 PM
Only happens on THIS site Lady Hobbs. I stay logged into Reefcentral idle for hours at a time. So, it's not my computer settings. It's either the server settings, or the fact that I wasn't checking "remember me" when I log in. Either way....hasn't happened lately since I have been checking 'remember me'. Then again....I haven't written any really long PM's or posts lately. LOL

William
03-09-2008, 02:08 PM
Please see
this thread (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?p=214550#post214550)

Hopefully that will take care of it.