PDA

View Full Version : One of the easiest plants ever...

kkevvy
03-03-2008, 02:38 AM
... and it isn't growing in my tank.

Java moss.

Alright, I shouldn't say it isn't growing. It's shooting a few longer strands up, but it isn;t attaching to the driftwood at all. I know its good moss. It's been on for about 2 weeks.

Java moss is a low-light plant, and I have 3.25 watts per gallon, could that be too much? FYI is that the bulb is a 65 watt Sunpaq 460NM actinic/10,000k daylight bulb. Thats the bulb it came with. I know the actinic doesn't help and I'm going to change it too 6700k/10000k daylight bulb shortly. Will that help it?

I tied it to driftwood, spread out thinly and evenly. It gets plenty of light and isn't blocked. I add Seachem Flourish to my tank as a plant supplement 2x a week. I've been thinking of putting those fertilizer tabs in it, would that help? I want it to spread out nice and thick.

thanks!

smaug
03-03-2008, 03:01 AM
the fert tabs wont be of any benefit to any plant not rooted in the gravel.I dont know what to think about your moss not growing well.

Ellen4God
03-03-2008, 03:13 AM
Are you concerned that it isn't taking hold or that it isn't really growing? I just tied my java moss to the cave in my tank, and I just let it do its thing (that was in January). As I was changing things around in my tank yesterday, I could tell that it had taken hold of the cave, but it was still able to be pulled off or whatever. I just tucked it around the cave again on the edges just to make sure it didn't float away from me moving it around a lot.

It has grown a LOT since January, but I think it's also taken all of that time to get as full as it is now. It may just take a little bit. You said that it's only been about two weeks? Maybe give it a little more time.

Dave66
03-03-2008, 03:14 AM
... and it isn't growing in my tank.

Java moss.

Alright, I shouldn't say it isn't growing. It's shooting a few longer strands up, but it isn;t attaching to the driftwood at all. I know its good moss. It's been on for about 2 weeks.

Java moss is a low-light plant, and I have 3.25 watts per gallon, could that be too much? FYI is that the bulb is a 65 watt Sunpaq 460NM actinic/10,000k daylight bulb. Thats the bulb it came with. I know the actinic doesn't help and I'm going to change it too 6700k/10000k daylight bulb shortly. Will that help it?

I tied it to driftwood, spread out thinly and evenly. It gets plenty of light and isn't blocked. I add Seachem Flourish to my tank as a plant supplement 2x a week. I've been thinking of putting those fertilizer tabs in it, would that help? I want it to spread out nice and thick.

thanks!

It takes a month to six weeks for the moss to attach to wood and even longer on stones. Changing the light to a better spectrum like that is far better, but don't expect explosive growth of the moss, since its a quite slow grower underwater.
The tabs won't hurt or help.
It'll take the moss at least six months to become thick and cover the wood. Be patient with it.

Dave

PUNISHER VETTE
03-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Try another type/kind of java moss. I bought some moss from my local pet store that just didn't do anything but die. Ordered some flame moss from an online dealer that took 3 weeks to arrive and it's doing well so far. I think sometimes it just has a hard time getting established due to a variety of reasons.

Incredulous_Ed
03-03-2008, 08:12 PM
The problem I have with java moss is that it soon get engulfed in cyano bacteria. @#$%! Other wise I bought it about two weeks ago and some strands are attaching to the wood.

kkevvy
03-03-2008, 11:29 PM
The problem I have with java moss is that it soon get engulfed in cyano bacteria. @#$%! Other wise I bought it about two weeks ago and some strands are attaching to the wood.

Yeah I'm getting some strands on mine too. I think its cyanobacteria. If my rams ever spawn, maybe it'll make a nice little fry lunch. haha