PDA

View Full Version : Considering Ram Cichlids for my 20g tank

LosC
03-03-2008, 01:29 AM
Currently have some corys and a male betta in my tank. Will two rams be ok with a Betta?

kkevvy
03-03-2008, 02:48 AM
I have a pair of German Blue Rams in my 20 gallon. They get along good with everything, although sometimes my Gourami chases them around. I don't know how territorial betta's are, but if you switch around a bunch of the stuff in the aquarium when you add them, you should be okay.

Also remember that Rams need clean water, so weekly 25% water changes are a must.

LosC
03-03-2008, 09:56 PM
I can keep up with the water changes. What do they appreciate in a tank? I don't think I have good hiding places for them in my tank. The driftwood has a cave but too small for them. I have 6 fake plants and one cave which would work. Are they very skittish? MY corys get skittish evry time I get up from my desk or walk by the tank, the tank is to the right of my desk. Do they stay at the bottom? How is there attitude and behaviour? Sorry I have alot of questions. I just want to learn more about them and know what to expect.

NickFish
03-03-2008, 10:33 PM
It would depend on the individual specimens.

How agressive is your betta? Male or female? Where does he swim in the tank, top or bottom?

My cories aren't skittish at all, the more hiding places and the larger than schools the bolder they become.

Rams will compete with you cories for food, so will have to feed them a little extra. Rams like plenty of plants, preferably live, as well as many hiding places like caves and driftwood.
You could put bolivian or blue rams in a 20 gallon, but only 1. Germans are more colorful but more sensitive, and it is hard to find a good quality blue.
Bolivians are hardier, still colorful but not as colorful as the GBR.

50% water changes weekly is the minimum for any tank IME, but try to do 25% twice a week as to not stress the fish.

I think there would be some fighting, but this may be very minimal, or it could be extreme. Hard to tell without knowing the exact fish.

LosC
03-03-2008, 10:53 PM
MY Betta doesn't seem aggressive, he's fine with my corys. He is usually at the bottom but tends to swim up to the floating plants alot. I like the german rams and I dont have a problem keeping up with the water changes. So your saying I'd only be able to get one GBR? Won't he get lonely? And how big would he get? Thanks

kkevvy
03-03-2008, 11:07 PM
Rams are fine by themselves. I have 2 (male and female) rams in my 20 gallon. I got them from a local breeder, so they were very healthy from the start.

My tank is heavily planted, with a large piece of driftwood, as well as terra-cotta pot. I find them swimming in all areas of the tanks. They are plenty of hiding places. Rams talk the talk, but don't walk the walk when it comes to aggression.

LosC
03-05-2008, 05:51 AM
My tank has finally cycled. I'm getting one soon. Can they adapt to water hardness? say...5 kh 10-14 gh, roughly?