PDA

View Full Version : All the eggs have turned white...what happened?

supun
03-02-2008, 10:58 PM
Hi all,

My angels spawned on Saturday afternoon. I watched them closely and the male looked like he was fertilizing the eggs.

The next morning, I remove the pot and put it into a separate 70L tank, along with a airstone which was 10cm away from the eggs, methyl blue just to make the water blue. The water in the tank was taken from the parents' tank and tested pH=6.5.

On Sunday, I noticed more and more eggs turning from clear to white.

Now, Monday morning, Ive observed all the eggs have turned white.

What did I do wrong? I can get all the help I can get!

P.s. they spawned 12 days ago, and I didnt remove the eggs and this resulted in them eating them the next day.

Thanks,

Sue

sailor
03-02-2008, 11:05 PM
Your male may not be as ready as he thinks he is. When the eggs do not get fertilized properly they turn white and die. Sorry about that cheif. I have had that problem with some africans with the female being ready to spawn before the male was. Sometimes the males will go through all the moves even tho they are not sexually mature yet.

crackatinny
03-02-2008, 11:05 PM
Don't be disapointed, this often happens, my angels have spawned twice, both times with the same results. I have been told, in early spawning attempts it will happen.

jbeining75
03-02-2008, 11:07 PM
They didn't get fertilized in time. It happens. They will spawn again I'm sure.. Good luck...

supun
03-03-2008, 12:09 AM
Thanks everyone for your help.

Yes, this is his second time at attempting to spawn ( that I know of), as I bought the fish from a lady recenlty. This may be his second time, but he definitely is not a young angel.
I will post pic of him tonight. He is quite a large smokey male adult. The female is also a smokey adult.

How many times should a batch of eggs turn white befor I conclude that he is infertile?? The smokeys are really pretty angelfish and I would really like to see a batch of their fry..

cat_man_do
03-03-2008, 12:55 AM
are you run any kind of filter on your tank if so try not running when they spawn:22:

cocoa_pleco
03-03-2008, 12:56 AM
not running the filter would cause a bacterial bloom, its best to put the parents and the eggs in a seperate tank with a sponge filter

cat_man_do
03-03-2008, 12:58 AM
or you can do that too i just turn them off as they are spawning

kkevvy
03-03-2008, 03:11 AM
Your male may not be as ready as he thinks he is.

Hey, we've all had that problem, haha.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Give them time, they'll learn to be better parents.