PDA

View Full Version : spilurum



xDopeBoY
03-02-2008, 09:36 PM
i have some spilurums in my tank with a mixture of other fishes. if i wanted them to spawn, do i need to have them in their own tank or can they mate with other fishes in the same tank

nanaglen2001
03-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Spilurums are similar to Sajicas (at least in their behaviour). What they need to breed is a cosy corner in the tank, a bit separated and decorated with some driftwood (for privacy) and some bigger smooth stones (on those they glue the eggs). As substrate sand is the best, cause Spilurums digg before they spawn.

Its possible that the Spilurum may become agressive while breeding, and that could mean they "own" 80 % of the tank, and the other fish are packed in the remaining 20 % (own experience with Spilurum I once owned).

But they wont get too agressive (they wont kill other fish, just chase them away).

Dave66
03-02-2008, 09:49 PM
i have some spilurums in my tank with a mixture of other fishes. if i wanted them to spawn, do i need to have them in their own tank or can they mate with other fishes in the same tank

I believe you're meaning Spilotum cichlid, Hypsophrys nicaraguensis? They reach 10 inches. When not breeding they are one of the most gentle of the larger Cichlids, and adults are spectacularly beautiful fish when in health. They lay non-adhesive eggs and guard them fiercely. Mine spawned in the substrate, but some claim they are cave spawners.
Great fish, but you CANNOT keep them with aggressive Cichlids like Red Devils, Jack Dempseys and the like. You'd also need to have at least a 75 gallon tank to keep a pair. They should be the only Cichlid in the tank. Larger tetras are fine tankmates. My Nicaraguans didn't tear out the plants, I suppose since their native central American waters don't have them.

Dave

nanaglen2001
03-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Its possible that the "Cryptoheros spilurum" is meant.

Very cute animals, but one shouldnt keep Spilurums and Sajicas together, they tend to interbreed.