PDA

View Full Version : Do you use aquarium salt?

Lady Hobbs
10-06-2006, 11:05 PM
So many different opinions regarding the use of aquarium salt so.....do you use it? I go both ways on it. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. Not a very conclusive answer but the best one I have.

I do buy Kosher salt instead of aquarium salt, tho, for a whole lot less money.

kimmers318
10-07-2006, 04:06 AM
No, I don't because everytime I have tried it I have had negative results with my fish. Pretty much the standard around here for everything so far has been melafix, pimafix or stresscoat.

Lady Hobbs
10-07-2006, 04:04 PM
Thank ya my friend.

Severus
10-07-2006, 07:33 PM
i dont really use it. I have read a lot about people thinking salt is this amazing ailment when in reality it is not. i used to put some in when i did water changes and i made myself think i was doing something beneficial, but really it doesnt matter. I might only use it under certain circumstances..

Lady Hobbs
10-07-2006, 07:51 PM
I believe it may be beneficial to keeping away ick and any worms but maybe it's just as well to wait until you have those things and then add salt.

Severus
10-07-2006, 07:57 PM
Yea i was just battling ick and i did use salt in that case. Im sure it did help too

CJ1
10-08-2006, 12:55 PM
I've tried it but have found no benefit from its use. Proper tank maintenance is the key to a healthy tank.

Lady Hobbs
10-08-2006, 02:22 PM
I also read that salt helps keep the nitrites from becoming so toxic during the cycling period. I have added it to my 55 gallon "just incase" a problem arises while I am away. Also read it helps with fungal infections.

Wish William was here for his opinion on aquarium salt. I'd like to hear his take on the use of it. For now, I will only use it on that one tank.

NorthernBoy
10-09-2006, 04:42 AM
I have always used aquarium salt. I add about a tsp. for every gallon. I replace it when i do water changes. You do however need to monitor your kH and gH. too much salt can effect these levels.

Lady Hobbs
10-09-2006, 05:33 AM
I already have hard water so perhaps should not use it at all.