PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Wonderful Wyoming

Wyomingite
03-02-2008, 09:40 AM
Never really thought about an aquarium forum until a coworker mentioned it the other day. This was the first forum I Googled.

So, about me. Well, been keeping fish for 25 years. Been out of the hobby on a serious basis for about three years. Have had nothing but a 10 gallon FW community tank in my office at work for that time. All of my tanks have been in storage since a move to a bigger house in 2005. I have a BS in Zoology from the University of Wyoming and other interests include hunting, gardening, war gaming and the Sasquatch phenomena.

I hope to be pulling everything out of storage soon. I'm currently starting the process of designing an out-building on my land that will have a small wood shop on the north side, a greenhouse on the south side, and a climate controlled aquarium room in the middle. Mrs. Wyomingite didn’t like all my aquariums (some 40 or so tanks ranging from 10 gal to 220 gal) in the basement of the old residence and agreed to let me have free reign with my design for a greenhouse/aquarium building as long as: 1) the aquariums didn’t go in the basement, and 2) I made her a sewing room. The sewing room is almost done, and now... well, she did give me free reign. :27: Anyways, I'm hoping a few people here may have some ideas and experience with designing aquarium rooms, and construction in general, and can lend some insight to my project while it’s in the designing stage. So maybe I can avoid the “I should have done that instead of this” syndrome.

Over the years I’ve kept a bit of everything. I have to admit to being a bit of a cichlidophile, though gobies, catfish, and miscellaneous predators all have a special place in my heart as well. Regardless, I’ve always had a variety of fish around. One can never have too many aquariums. I’ve dabbled in saltwater aquariums but always end up back with FW and brackish. I’ve had good luck spawning a fair number of species, mostly cichlids (especially CA and rift valley species), but species from a few other families as well, and have been reasonably successful raising the young with everything but anabantids.

I also hope, over time, to make some acquaintances who can offer advice on reputable on-line fish dealers and through which I may possibly be able to access a few rarer species I’ve had my eye on for a while, when my plan all comes together.

I’m looking forward to getting to know everyone.

WYite

fins_n_fur
03-02-2008, 09:47 AM
Welcome to the fabulously friendly A.C., the world's best fish forum! thumbs2: thumbs2:

jbeining75
03-02-2008, 09:47 AM
Welcome to AC!!!!!!

Jamie (J or JB)

sailor
03-02-2008, 11:21 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum. That sounds like a great project.

aquarius56
03-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Wow...awesome intro. Your place sounds like it's going to be perfect!!! Me thinks you're going to be busy for a very long time, with your labour of love...
Good luck and oh yeah...WELCOME to the forum...thumbs2: thumbs2:

Vee
03-05-2008, 04:26 AM
Welcome!!!

Another Wyoming-ite.

Very cool.

I'm into aquariums....AND construction. Shoot me a PM and lemme know where you are in relation to Sheridan!

AquaBANG
03-05-2008, 04:37 AM
welcome to the forum.

digital3
03-05-2008, 06:47 AM
Welcome to the A.C. This is a great place to meet fellow fish-loving friends! Can't wait to get some insight and see some Pix!

:c5:

doug z
03-05-2008, 07:32 AM
Welcome to the forum!

Looking forward to hearing how you're making out..

angelcakes
03-05-2008, 07:35 AM
hello and welcome thumbs2: