PDA

View Full Version : Look what I found today!

robare
03-02-2008, 03:21 AM
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee45/robare_bucket/March2008002.jpg

Looks like my Green Terrors have been busy.

Here's Daddy, he didn't want me to take his picture, so not the best:

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee45/robare_bucket/March2008006.jpg

I cannot believe that they have eggs and have been able to protect them. Other tank mates include 2 jack Demseys, 1 oscar and 2 feather fin catfish. Oh, and a pleco. I'm flabber gassed. Now what?

Here's the oscar and one of the Jacks

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee45/robare_bucket/March2008004.jpg

Nautilus291
03-02-2008, 03:23 AM
Congrads on the babies. Do you have another tank you could put them in?

jbeining75
03-02-2008, 03:24 AM
I'm surprised the GT's haven't tore it up in that tank. I would get a fry tank up and cycled fast. The pleco will devoire the eggs in the middle of the night by accident..... That is awesome to see new additions though... Good luck with them.... Cats might too. I'm surprised there are that many eggs left....

Incredulous_Ed
03-02-2008, 03:24 AM
Very very cool!

robare
03-02-2008, 03:31 AM
I'm surprised the GT's haven't tore it up in that tank. I would get a fry tank up and cycled fast. The pleco will devoire the eggs in the middle of the night by accident..... That is awesome to see new additions though... Good luck with them.... Cats might too. I'm surprised there are that many eggs left....

That's exactly what I was thinking. It's really wierd, because I wasn't expecting the peaceful tank I have, especially if I ended up with any mating pairs. I think the Oscar likes the Green terrors a bit. The Jacks are the outcasts in the tank.

I would think the cats would get in there and have a feast, but it hasn't happend yet. Don't know if I'll be able to get a fry tank set up. Not even sure what I'd have to do. What do you think the miniumum requirements would be?

robare
03-02-2008, 03:34 AM
Oh, I do have a tank divider that I made awhile back I could probably use, to keep the fish seperated. But, they laid the eggs right in the center of the tank. Don't think I want to move them, but not sure about such a small area for the all the other fish in the area that would be created. Might have to move them I guess.

Would I leave mom and dad together? Would this work, or do I need a fry tank? Little ones, once swimming could easily past from one side to the other.

jbeining75
03-02-2008, 03:35 AM
You could get a 20 gallon up don't use gravel. Just grab those rocks and set them in the 20 gallon. Hopefully you could grab them without either GT nailing you... If you have any small hobs run it on the main tank to get it seeded.... You could probably get away with running a sponge filter hooked to an air pump. Thr fry will become dinner for something if they aren't taken out... 99.99 percent chance nothing lives.. If they get big enough they will become food anyway for the parents or the oscar or jacks..... You could get alot of store credit for those I'm sure. Probably 2 or 3 bucks for a 1 inch gt......

There are probably 600 eggs there...... 30 or so would make it in a fry tank.....

robare
03-02-2008, 03:49 AM
Think I could get away with a glass jar, put the eggs in it and punch some holes in the lid and keep it in the tank for now. Until I have time to get a fry tank set up?

jbeining75
03-02-2008, 03:52 AM
I don't know... I have never done that. I don't want to answer and give you bad info... Hopefully someone else has experience with a jar..... I always use fry tanks....

TowBoater
03-02-2008, 01:38 PM
Jar should work for hatching and then them fry are gonna get smoked. I would use the divider and just take a tiny portion of the tank if you just want the eggs or divide it in half for the time being with the terrors on one side and the others fish on the other.

sailor
03-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Congrats on the spawnthumbs2:

robare
03-03-2008, 04:38 AM
So today I went to a couple of pet stores, and they said they'd take any that I raise but probably wouldn't give me anything for them. Kinda hard for me to spend a bunch of money for a fry tank and not be able to get any of it back.

What I ended up doing was I moved the eggs and rocks to one side of the tank. I put up the tank divider that I have with eggs, mom and dad on one side and the rest of the tank mates on the other side. Dad didn't seem to happy about the situation, he actually seems to be buds with the Oscar. He started to tear into the eggs. Mom seemed to do it too at first, but then started to defend them. I moved dad to the other side for now. Mom seems better now.

I guess we'll see what happens.

gem
03-03-2008, 05:31 AM
Think I could get away with a glass jar, put the eggs in it and punch some holes in the lid and keep it in the tank for now. Until I have time to get a fry tank set up?

If you're going to do that, put a low flow airstone (kink the air hose if you have to. Not really good for your air pump) in there to give the eggs some flow and movement.
Also, I'd suggest a sponge filter in the fry tank as the fry can get sucked up the intake to an HOB. Or you can put a nylon on the intake, but I tried that also and they got stuck to the nylon and plugged up my intake. I found about 50 - 60 convict fry living in my filter...some were even stuck to the filter media but still alive. I thought Mom and Dad were eating them and that's why they were disappearing.....HA...no such luck! LOL Or you can put a nylon on the intake, but I tried that also and they got stuck to the nylon and plugged up my intake.

robare
03-04-2008, 02:22 AM
Here's a photo update on everything:

Here's my tank divided. Seems like everyone is hiding from me, they've never liked their pictures taken:

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee45/robare_bucket/March2008019.jpg

Looks like the eggs are fertile - How long do I have before they hatch?

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee45/robare_bucket/March2008018.jpg

Tank is looking pretty plain right now, I pulled all my drift wood out of it. Seemed like it was making the room smell funny.

I have an opportunity to buy a 55 gal for $60 with light/hood. Sound like a good deal? I may use that as my fry/isolation tank. Was looking for a 20-29, but I noticed this one for sale locally.

If I pull the eggs and put it in an isolation tank, do I bring the mom or not. She is protecting them now.

cabrego
03-04-2008, 02:54 AM
Nice Fish, congrats on the fry! Maybe you can find some local buyers after you raise the fry a bit.

seamajor
03-04-2008, 09:18 AM
Your fish looks identical to mine except for the red colouring on the fin s...I've just had my 3rd hatch of eggs. They were in a 5ft tank with a pleco, clown loaches, angel, 3 silver sharks, and some tiger barbs. The eggs were well protected by the parents...my other fish are stressed, the free swimming fry and parents have now been moved to what was my growing tank, and my other babies have gone to work.......bottom line is the parenting is pretty good. I was not sure what to do. I left them and it worked for me.

robare
03-05-2008, 03:17 AM
Today I got my hands on a 10 gallon tank I was going to put the rocks and eggs into. However by the time I got home from work, most eggs were gone/hatched. Mom dug a couple of holes, and it appears one of them has fry in it if you look real careful. There's no way I'd be able to move them at this point.

There are a few clear eggs left, I'm thinking they didn't get fertilized. Any one know the time period it is from when they are laid and when they hatch?

seamajor
03-05-2008, 08:54 AM
I tried to move the fry at about this point and it did not work, although siphoning the fry was easy I don't think they survived. I've jus t moved mine as free swimming fry but the parents went bolistic so I moved them as well. Now the Stress in my main tank has reduced greatly and Mum and dad are happy with their family...but for how long? Once theyu were this free swimming siphoning did not work..netting was more effective
goo luck

Ben_Jam_In
03-05-2008, 01:18 PM
Yeah you want to get those out of there fast my female jag lays eggs every once in awhile and my plec and catfish always eat them.

kitten3326
03-06-2008, 01:15 PM
Do you know yet if any survived

robare
03-11-2008, 03:53 AM
I was too slow with the tanks. The eggs hatched before I could transfer them to another tank. Mom dug holes in the gravel for them, but they soon disappeared. There really wasn't anyway to remove them at that point. I'm in the process of getting a 55 gallon, that I'll use in the future for such things.

Is it ok to wait until I see eggs to pull mom, dad and eggs from tank into breeding tank?

Lady Hobbs
03-11-2008, 05:40 AM
Oh Oh. You are about to have a very busy tank.

seamajor
03-11-2008, 07:26 PM
How are you getting on? My fry are now alone in the growing tank. Parents are getting ready for another spawn.

robare
03-12-2008, 04:23 PM
I lost the fry. Getting a tank for future spawns.

seamajor
03-12-2008, 07:11 PM
all the best with the next lot