PDA

View Full Version : crayfish

jman
10-06-2006, 10:31 PM
O.k. i have a small stream that runs through my backyard and has crayfish that i catch and throw back.
One day i decided to keep the crayfish i caught so i only took 3.
Soon 2 died and the one left continously sheaded skin.
Later on after jumping out the tank he died later after being put back.
How to really keep these fish is the question but also will i need to give them a special cleaning because who really knows what's in the water ?
and can i keep them with cichlids?

boston
01-28-2007, 12:19 AM
depending on how clean the water your getting them from is but my guess is that they would be fine after a quick rinse under water they like very well oxygenated water.

cocoa_pleco
01-28-2007, 02:12 AM
feed them algae tablets, feeder fish, and flakes

jman
01-28-2007, 03:35 AM
thanks i kind of figured the only thing is-is that the water is kinda dirty

Lindsay_D
01-29-2007, 04:18 PM
If you have more than one you need to make sure the water is dark because they will kill each other. We have some at school and we hid them in the settling tank because in the clear tank they fought to the death

cocoa_pleco
01-29-2007, 04:57 PM
too bad we have no fish left at school. Some grads dumped a box of soap detergent in the goldfish tank, all 12 fish died

jweintraub
01-29-2007, 05:04 PM
How sad, WHY would anyone do a thing like that to harmless fish?!

Lindsay_D
01-29-2007, 06:14 PM
we had some stupid girl that cleaned out a huge industrial tank with SOAP! She was a SOPHOMORE

jeffs99dime
01-29-2007, 06:15 PM
How sad, WHY would anyone do a thing like that to harmless fish?!

because they're immature, stupid kids

cocoa_pleco
01-29-2007, 06:19 PM
The teacher was actually terrified that all his fish were dead. I dont think he wanted to disect the fish, i think they were actually pets

Lindsay_D
01-29-2007, 06:22 PM
i can't disect anything...i get sick looking at it...guts..eew...(not to sound girly)

cocoa_pleco
01-29-2007, 07:46 PM
well then, in grade 8 we disected a frozen piglet. I still have nightmares about that one 4 years later, all the guts and all. I couldnt eat bacon for about 5 months, and porkchops for about 2 years. lol

genitor
01-29-2007, 08:49 PM
You have to keep crawfish in a tank by themselves with no fish as they will attack and injure/kill fishes. Provide lots of hiding places to minimize aggression and a sand substrate is preferred since they like to dig.They can be fed sinking algae and shrimp pellets.

tanya
04-11-2007, 11:56 PM
note: i kept around 5 medium sized and 1 large creek-caught-crawfish in my 30 gallon tank with 1 goldfish and 1 small pleco.

at first the large crawfish tried to eat my pleco but i would poke the crawfish with the stick end of the net each time he'd go after the pleco. he soon learned that the pleco wasnt fun to beat up on. but then later on that same crawfish would go mad and try to kill everything in the tank. so i would give him small pieces of bacon or ham or even browned ground beef(if u dont brown it, it is almost impossible to get back out and it clouds the tank really bad) and also found that the crawfish love to eat sinking goldfish granules. he would calm down after i gave him this protien so i soon learned his diet(not includeing live fish) and when he went on a soon-too-be killing spree i would just give him some protien.
before i thought to give him protien i tried banding him but he got really depressed so i just found a different way.
i'm happy to say that all my fish lived very peacefully together for about a year until some sort of disease killed all my crawfish. they would get real still and turn kinda redder then usual then they'd just die. i still miss josia (my large , crazy one) and rusty and blue and clawless and shorty and tike!
hope this helps, i plan on going out and catching more crawfish this year!

spottedbass
02-04-2008, 01:51 AM
Hola,

I've acctualy had a crayfish and a spotted bass for almost 2 years and they live in perfect harmony. I had another crayfish but it died of old age. I think crawfish make great pets. Both my spotted bass and crawfish are caugt from the wild and they have never had a fight. I'm pretty sure the crawfish I have is very non-aggresive. The one i had that died was very agressive, but it might have been territorial. Over all i think if a fish and a crawfish have enough space to share between them there should'nt be any problems.:thumb:

cocoa_pleco
02-04-2008, 01:55 AM
lol, this thread is really old

StarBelliedSneetch
02-08-2008, 09:23 PM
a long time ago i had a seven or so inche red belly, we had about five crayfish in there with him. first off this red belly what the coolest thing ever we used to pet him which isnt that good i dont think his scales would fall off. but any way the two biggest of the crayfish would attach to the red bellys gill and he would take them for rides, they never hurt eachother though. i want a nother red belly

cocoa_pleco
02-08-2008, 09:31 PM
this is a year old thread