PDA

View Full Version : Holding female

Dixie
03-01-2008, 05:28 PM
I've had our 55g tank running since end of summer early fall. I started stocking by buying different mbuna juvies in trios thinking I would go with an all male tank. Since all I have are all monomorphic (males and females look the same) I figured I could sex them as they got older and hopefully I would have at least one male in a trio, keep him and trade back in the others.

Finally one day last week, for the first time, I saw one of my trio of mainganos holding. I thought I had 2 males and a female but the one holding was one I thought was subdominate male. By this time I'm finding it hard to give up any of my fish (and haven't)lol so what I did was run to the LFS and get the only little maingano they had hopeing it was also female so now I would have one male and 3 females...a nice breeding groupthumbs2: . I don't know if it was because of the new fish being added or just because it was her first time holding but she swallowed the same day. Now I'm working on a getting a 75g. or at least starting up our other 55g. and having 2 tanks going and keeping almost all the fish we have except for the Leporinus that will eventually get to big for even a 75g. and maybe the auratus if they get to mean.

Today I noticed on of the trio of albino auratus is holding. One of them was loosing it's yellow coloring and I was wondering if that was an indication of it's sex but was told it wasn't that it could mean it was loosing it's dominance though. It isn't the one holding. I'm sure it's the father because of the way it has been displaying to the one holding and the other one fish like them stays at the opposite end of the tank most of the time and doesn't bother anybody. I've read that fish can lose their color due to kidney or other internal problems but this fish seems perfectly healthy. Does anyone have experience with albino auratus that can tell me if it loosing it's coloring does in fact mean it is male? It would help me sex the other one I have...thinking now I have 1 male and 2 females of those also. LOL I'm not going to run out and get another this time though.

Sorry this is so long. Guess I'm excited because I have a fish holding again.

sailor
03-01-2008, 11:34 PM
thumbs2: Congrats on your holding mama, can you post some pics?

Dixie
03-03-2008, 12:15 AM
Not right now, darn it. I loaned our camera to one of our daughters and haven't got it back yet. She doesn't look like she's holding alot of eggs but doing a good job so far. So cute. Looks like she's chewing gum, tumbling the eggs in her mouth.
I wasn't planning on breeding so I don't have a fry tank set up. I do have this plastic plant that's real low stuff and kinda like a carpet. When I first got the albino auratus they were real small and 2 of them stayed hid in this plant most of the time (hiding from the 3rd one that I now think is the male) until they got to big and had to come out...now look what happened when they did lol.
Anyway I was thinking of letting her spit in the tank and hoping the fry could hide in it. One our daughters also loaned me a box thing you hang in the tank that's a frame with mesh netting covering it. I've read that moms don't like to spit when they are in one of those but maybe I can catch the fry and put them in it. We'll see.
Thanks for the congrats and I'll try to get our camera back so I can post pics. I know I shouldn't be so excited because it's her first time and sometimes it takes a couple tries before they hold and spit successfully but I can't help it, it's my first time too lol and she might get it right the first time.

cichlid22c
03-03-2008, 01:45 AM
i striped my on female of her fry and put her and the 7 fry in one of those hang on the side nets and the fry would get down under the bottom lip and the other fish picked at them and killed all of them.if you want keep them i would get anther tank cycling asap and get her in it before she spits

Dixie
03-04-2008, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the info cichlid22c. I really don't think I want to keep them. I'll probably just let her spit in the tank and if any make it so be it.

AquaBANG
03-04-2008, 03:48 PM
congrats and good luck on the fry. are these fishes good parents? Never seen an albino auratus though. Will wait for the pics...

Dixie
03-06-2008, 04:47 AM
Ok got my camera back today and got a pic. Sorry about the flash. The closest one is the one losing it's yellow color. The one that I'm pretty sure is male. The holding female is the one in the back. It doesn't look like she's holding alot but I can tell she is holding. Now if I can remember how to insert a pic.... here goes.
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee183/Dixie_57/resizedalbinoauratus.jpg

fishyj
03-06-2008, 07:22 PM
The only real way to tell what are females and males are to vent them. I have done it before and it is a pain but with practice you can get the gender of fish you want.

Dixie
03-07-2008, 02:30 AM
I don't think hardley any mbuna cichlids make good parents once the fry is spit because they will eat them if you leave them together. This is the first time I've had a fish hold more than a day. I'm new to fish keeping.

I don't really want to go to the trouble of trying to vent any of my fish right now. I'm just observing them closely and guestimating with some of them going by their behavior. The 3 yellow labs are the ones that I don't even have a clue about and of course the smaller ones.

Dixie
03-08-2008, 02:23 AM
Awwww I think she swallowed. When I got home from work tonight (dead tired) and was feeding them hubby noticed that she was eating. Without my reading glasses on I really wasn't sure if she looked like she was holding or not but I figure she swallowed since it was her first time. Oh well.

RainMan
03-08-2008, 03:11 PM
I've had fish eat while they were holding... doesn't necessarily mean they swallow. But, it is a good sign she swalled if she keeps eating frequently.

Or a bad sign, I should've said. :(

Dixie
03-09-2008, 03:48 PM
Well she's eating and doesn't even look like she's holding anymore. It's ok, I've read it usually takes them a couple tries at holding to get it right and I really didn't need the fry anyway.

RainMan
03-09-2008, 10:23 PM
yeah... I was trying to be optomisitic. Next time... or the next. It's pretty exciting when you get to this point. It's a good sign that you're doing a good job, that's for sure.

I don't need extra fry either. But, now that I don't have a capablbe breeding pair anymore... I guess I don't have to worry about it. It's kinda dissapointing though.

Dixie
03-11-2008, 08:02 PM
I know exactly what you mean RainMan. Even if you don't really want them it's still kinda exciting. Thank you for the compliment of it's a sign I'm doing a good job. That really made my day.