PDA

View Full Version : feeding fish people food

melbfish20
03-01-2008, 11:13 AM
I was wondering if i could feed my 2 small oscars some food that I would eat ? I'm thinking of sea food in particular such as fresh fish and from a can,squid,mussels, oysters etc plus any other type of human food. I am looking at feeding them these types of food only as a treat as I mostly feed them NLS

I also wanted to know if I am doing the right thing by feeding my fish only NLS ? the only other food they get is some frozen blood worms once a week which is just for a treat

thanks for the help

karbomb
03-01-2008, 11:17 AM
not sure about people food for fish. maybe shrimp would be ok. earthworms are good, maybe meal worms, crickets.
but i do know a ton of people on this site advocate NLS as a base for daily feeding. so your fine there.

sailor
03-01-2008, 11:39 AM
I wouldn't feed canned seafood, but fresh seafood is fine. I sometimes feed fresh shrimp, scallops cut up small as a treat. Justtry a little bit at first to see if they will eat it. Remove any uneaten shrimp etc after 20 mins so it doesn't fowl the water.

NickFish
03-01-2008, 12:23 PM
You can feed oscars veggies. If you're making dinner and you happen to have peas that day, wash some up and throw them in, oscars will eat any veggies as long as they are cleaned. You could feed shrimp, fish fillets, and mussels if they are properly washed. But nothing canned, as canned food contains harmful metals and preservatives.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Agreed. Nothing canned and generally nothing cooked. I know of people who will feed small pieces of beef to their Oscars as well, but this should not be cooked. Earthworms, Beefheart, Bloodworms, Wax Worms, Crickets can all be fed to an Oscar. Oscars actaully eat a lot of insects during the dry season when they get trapped in inland pools in the rainforest. When the rains come and they are able to get back into the river they do actually feed on small fish occasionally. However the bulk of their diet actually consists of insects.

Levi
03-01-2008, 03:56 PM
my crayfish loves blanched spinach

jbeining75
03-01-2008, 04:00 PM
I use shrimp at times... I use Hikari Cichlid Bio-Gold. Hikari Bloodworms and other suppliments. NLS is a great food and works also....

Incredulous_Ed
03-01-2008, 05:19 PM
Well, if you are using NLS, then there is really no need to be feeding other foods, because it's nutritionally complete.

SpyderSpy6
03-02-2008, 02:29 AM
I don't recommend this.... but I had a buddy who fed cut up hot dogs to a catfish he had... and most recently he told me that he has a red tail catfish in a large chiclid tank, and he'll feed them pieces of Oscar Meyer Ham.

Again, I don't recommend it... thought of it as more of a joke than anything.

Fishguy2727
03-02-2008, 02:40 AM
The NLS is complete and balanced. Adding other foods will throw off that balance. If you are not dead set on feeding him other things then just don't, it is better for him to just get the NLS exclusively. Any doubts about that, just check out my PhotoBucket page, NLS review in my blog, or their website.