PDA

View Full Version : water treatment question bucket or tank

jcf
10-06-2006, 12:51 PM
i recently upgraded to a 55 gallon tank and am doing the periodic 25% water changes. to fill the tank, i have one of those kits that allow you to hook up and fill from an indoor faucet. i have also purchased a declorinator that suggests dosage in 10 gallon increments. the tank is populated by 5 large angelfish.

when filling the tank, do i need to treat the water before i put it in the tank (ie a bucket at a time) or can i put the water treatment in the tank and then fill it directly from the hose?

the people at the pet store mentioned that you cannot overdose the fish on declorinator and that you can add the treatment and then fill the tank directly.

a related question is, if you fill the tank directly, would you add enough treatment for the entire 55 gallons or just for the 25% amount you are putting in the tank?

do so, i

Lady Hobbs
10-06-2006, 03:42 PM
Add the declorinator just as the pet shop said. Add enough to do the entire tank then fill with water.

Glasstapper
10-06-2006, 05:44 PM
a related question is, if you fill the tank directly, would you add enough treatment for the entire 55 gallons or just for the 25% amount you are putting in the tank?

You don't have to treat 55 gallons of water if you're not replacing all 55 gallons of water.

When doing water changes, I usually just put enough dechlorinator for the amount of water being replaced. If I take out 10 gallons of water, then I only treat 10 gallons of water.

And yes, you can pour the dechlorinator in the tank first, then pour your new water in.

Lady Hobbs
10-06-2006, 07:00 PM
I found it hard to figure out how much to use for water changes, too. If one tsp will decholorinate 10 gallons, how much will it take to do one bucket? LOL I ended up using more decholorinator that way than if I was treating the whole tank.

kimmers318
10-07-2006, 04:11 AM
The good thing is most dechlorinators won't harm anything.....I have done it several ways since I have so many tanks. Buckets dechlorinated first...python add dechlorinator as the water is running in. As long as you get enough dechlorinator for the amount of water, either way works.