PDA

View Full Version : Breeding question.

ScootersPet
03-01-2008, 04:28 AM
Hi all!

I have a breeding pair of Angels, daddy is a BEAUTIFUL Veil tail Black Lace guy(VERY dark) and momma is a Koi standard fins. My question, is the black lace trait dominant? I ask because i have successfully raised 3 clutches from this pair, and all of the young are black! every single one. I would love love love to have some koi babies or anything but black, but it just doesnt seem to be going in that direction. Anyone know anything about this topic??? any help would be greatly appreciated :D

Demi ^_^
03-01-2008, 05:02 AM
Um, if you have had 3 clutches and all were black, yes, I'd say the dominate trait is black. See, look at this:

Black = dominant = X
Koi = Ressessive = Y

---X--X
Y-XY-XY
Y-XY-XY

Result: So all of the babies of the 3 clutches were black in colour and carried the ressessive Koi gene. That means the babies are XY.

So if you keep 1 of the black XY babies from a clutch and purchase another Koi Female/Male and breed it to the black baby, here is what the results would be:

---X--Y
Y-XY-YY
Y-XY-YY

Result: 50% Koi coloured and 50% Black coloured, carrying the Koi gene.

Hope I've helped!

minichnk
03-01-2008, 05:21 AM
lol its like biology all over again

Demi ^_^
03-01-2008, 05:31 AM
LOL, everyone says that when I go on about genetics! It is actually very simple to learn :) It comes in handy too when breeding fish and other animals!

cat_man_do
03-01-2008, 05:26 PM
i get 75 % black and 25% koi from my pair black female and koi male:sconfused:

fins_n_fur
03-01-2008, 06:16 PM
Wow, demi, you're a modern day Gregor Mendl thumbs2: Cool that you remember basic genetics thumbs2:

ScootersPet
03-01-2008, 07:27 PM
BOO.......i dont have room for another breeding pair, as the pair i currently have are in my 55 community tank, and were a complete fluke lol. (bought 3, two paired off), so I suppose i will just keep with the blacks until i have more room. I was just hoping that some coloration was a slight possibility, but.... its alright, still get the joy of raising pretty little black babies!!

Thanks for the help!

Demi ^_^
03-01-2008, 11:16 PM
i get 75 % black and 25% koi from my pair black female and koi male:sconfused:

Really!? Thats weird... atleast in my brain anyway LOL

I have gone over the genetics in my head and I have no idea, sorry I can't help :( I'm going to go over some knowledge on Google, lol.

cat_man_do
03-01-2008, 11:25 PM
while i'm not sure about the pairs backgound(what thier mom and dad was):ezpi_wink1:

relsoft
03-28-2008, 01:56 AM
Demi's punnet squares are entirely correct. As for the 75%<>25% anomaly, my guess is co-dominance(very unlikely as the F1 generation are all black) or that the KOI gene is sex-linked. Are all your koi angels female?