PDA

View Full Version : help, i have a community tank with 6 angels and 2 of them are breeding.

cyane
10-06-2006, 06:12 AM
like the above says i need help. ive never breed angels before just guppies and mollies and swordtails, but never been able to do angels. i just came home from work and look at them to check on them and i saw the eggs and now i dont know what to do. any help or addvice would be really helpful right now. they dont even look old enough to be breeding but they are.

thanks please help i dont think the rescreach im getting online is gonna help me with this one....

cyane

jnmrcs
10-06-2006, 11:30 AM
Be aware, whne the angels are mating they become more aggressive than ususal. So maybe you should start moving the others angels.

Jamieross1978
10-06-2006, 01:42 PM
The angelfish, Pterophyllum scalare, has remained a much sought after species because of its impressive fin display, reasonably large size, many strains (e.g., marble, silver, black lace, black pearl-scaled, albino, and ghost) ease of breeding, and large reproductive output. Angelfish are monogamous bi-parental substrate spawners, and there are several methods used for breeding them. Because angelfish are not easily sexed, either a true-mated pair or a group of juveniles should be purchased. Pairs can be maintained in 20 gal high tanks or larger with already established biological filters. Typically, the tank is kept empty except for a piece of slate rock slanted against one side. The parents will lay the eggs on the piece of slate. The slate can then be removed and eggs incubated artificially at 80 ºC with an airstone near but not touching the eggs. If artificial incubation is chosen Maroxy can be used to prevent fungus, or eggs infected with fungus can be picked off as necessary. Alternatively, the eggs can remain with the parents, and they will take care of the spawn. Both parents will mouth and fan the eggs, which will hatch in about four days, but will remain attached to the surface until the yolk sac is absorbed (~ 3-4 more days). Increasing temperature will increase hatching time. The downfall of allowing the parents to care for the young is the potential lose of spawns due to parental appetites. Pairs usually only eat their first few spawns, and it is probably worth their expense just to observe their parental behaviors that may last for up to eight weeks. If the primary purpose is to produce large numbers of young, then the eggs should be artificially incubated. This method will save the first few spawns, and also decrease the time between reproductive episodes.

If a true-mated pair cannot be obtained then a group of juveniles from different sources (to prevent inbreeding effects and keep strains true) can be purchased. Five or more juveniles can be placed in an aquarium, and once pairing occurs the others can be removed. When juveniles become free swimming they must be feed infusoria (e.g., protozoans, rotifers, baby brine shrimp). Spawns are usually large, so the juveniles will have to be divided into a number of tanks.

cyane
10-08-2006, 07:03 AM
thanks for the advice. ^^ im trying to get my aunt a tank so i can put the other angels in there. i think the eggs have little tails sticking out of them....i think theres about 20. after they get biger in 2 or 3 days, ive read online it takes 7 days for the babies to use up the egg yolk and be free swimming, can i put them in a seethough breeding trap?? let me know thank you again..

cyane
10-08-2006, 07:09 AM
hey everyone is there any way i can put the babies after they are free swimming in a seethought breeding trap with slits in the side of it?? or would the babies get out??

cyane
10-08-2006, 08:02 AM
it keeps saying im not logged in to it and that it might have been cancelled and that it might have yet to be activated. any help would be nice.

Lady Hobbs
10-08-2006, 02:24 PM
You have to be logged in to post and since you are posting........? I'm confused.

NorthernBoy
10-09-2006, 04:45 AM
Please people of you "borrow" text, info, or articles from this site or another site please give the site the credit for the work. ie if you post a picture from another site you should include "Credit to www.aquaticcommunity.com" This is very important.

Lady Hobbs
10-09-2006, 05:53 AM
Angels are well known to eat the fry. Sometimes they may do it several times before they become good parents and then the other fish may eat them as well. They lay a lot of eggs so chances are if you see about 20, there will be many more. I think they lay around 200.

cyane
10-10-2006, 05:13 AM
Sorry To Report Back The Bad News But The Parent Angels Ate Their Children, And The Kids Were Just Getting Little Tails On Them. >< But The Good News Is I Noticed My Platie Looked Pregnant And Put Her Into The Breeding Trap And She Had Like 6 Babies.^^

Lady Hobbs
10-10-2006, 03:32 PM
You will most likely have to have a separate tank for when you have a breeding pair. Too much aggression will go on with two mating pairs in the same tank.........unless the tank is quite large. The next time, make sure you have lots and lots of hiding spaces for the young. You may even have to separate the parents from the young for them to survive.