PDA

View Full Version : Are Bolivian Rams hardy?

Hankdan
03-01-2008, 01:07 AM
Thinking of buying one Bolivian Ram. Has anyone had one for more than a year? I read that they can live about 3 yrs., but I also know that Rams have a high death rate. How hardy are Bolivians?

jbeining75
03-01-2008, 01:15 AM
They are much hardier than German Blue Rams. Just make sure they are natural strains. Call the local fish store and ask if they are from a local breeder. If they are they should be fine..... I am setting Bolivian rams with a school of cardinals when I reset my 55 gallon....

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-01-2008, 01:41 AM
I've personally had no problems at all with my Bolivian Rams. They have been happily living together now for about a year and a half.

cocoa_pleco
03-01-2008, 02:24 AM
i had some gold balloon rams and they died quick, ive had luck with bolivians though

Kaga's Kritters
03-01-2008, 02:47 AM
I started with 2 bolivians and have lost one, but the other is doing great. I tried getting a german ram and he died overnight. The bolivians are a lot hardier than the german, and are fun to watch.

Incredulous_Ed
03-01-2008, 03:40 AM
I have bolivian rams from asia and they bred before.

digital3
03-01-2008, 05:52 AM
I love my Bolivians. But I would recommend you get more than 1. They are really entertaining fish. Just make sure you have plenty of space and plenty of hiding spots.

krisisdog
03-01-2008, 01:41 PM
Bolivians are quite tuff, though I havent lost a Blue Ram either. In my 4ft I have both, and I think the blue ram is a better fish.

Daybis
03-01-2008, 02:20 PM
I plan to do something similar, but I was going to do GBRs. How many Bolivians can Cardinals can you stock in a 55 gallon?

NickFish
03-01-2008, 03:52 PM
You could put 4 bolivians and 30 cardinals in a 55 gallon easily. But it all depends on hiding places, personality, filtration and water changes.

I love my bolivians. Depends what you mean by hardy. They sensitive compared to tetras and livebearers, but are hardy compared to their cousins, the blue ram.
I have 2 bolivians that are very happy, very sociable, and very fun to watch. I also have 4 german blue rams. They are much more sensitive but also fun fish.
I think if you like rams, get the bolivians first, as sort of a practice, then when you get the hang of it pick up some blue rams. Blues have about the same personality as bolivians, only slightly more aggessive I find, and of course, bolivians have less color.

Incredulous_Ed
03-01-2008, 05:04 PM
To be honest, in a 55gal, I would go at least 6. That way you get to see more of their behavior in groups. Its very cool to watch.

Hankdan
03-02-2008, 01:42 AM
Thanks everyone. Someone suggested I get two because they are more interesting, but I only have a 12 gal Eclipse tank which already has a blue gourami, a bristlenose pleco, and a white skirted tetra. Do you think two Bolivians would overload the tank?

Incredulous_Ed
03-02-2008, 01:48 AM
I think they would. If you get rid of pleco and gourami, I think you could get two, just make sure its a male and female. You'll have to be careful because they can get aggressive towards each other in small spaces.