PDA

View Full Version : What is this stuff?

slinky
02-29-2008, 11:59 PM
I've having some plant challenges and noticed these strange growing plants on my java ferns. Initially they seemed to grow from or were attached at the top. Now I notice they are also growing out of the ground. The picture is pretty good but doesn't show the crisp mini leaves on these brown mini-treelike plants. Not sure if it's algae (which I'm having too much of these days) or just another plant or the start of tiny java ferns, which they don't look like. Doesn't look like the brown hair strands at all and they stand up out of the soil on their own. I have no clue what they are. I'm also wondering if wysteria, which is right next to it, grows these rootlike structures (don't think it's hair) that seem to wander all over the place. Anyone?

smaug
03-01-2008, 12:09 AM
I do believe those little tree like plants as you call them are roots from the fern,which BTW should not be planted in the gravel but tied to something instead.The hair like root things from your wysteria are very common on all stem plants and my ludwigia exhibits a great many.

gm72
03-01-2008, 12:10 AM
Roots and more roots.

Adrian
03-01-2008, 12:12 AM
I want to say that on the shot of the wisteria, that it is a root system attempting to get a better hold of the substrate.

On the other photos, I almost see runners from the ferns. One of the ways it propagates. I have also see this plant send forth a flower shoot, that took off and headed for the surface.

Just a suggestion

slinky
03-01-2008, 04:09 AM
I do believe those little tree like plants as you call them are roots from the fern,which BTW should not be planted in the gravel but tied to something instead.The hair like root things from your wysteria are very common on all stem plants and my ludwigia exhibits a great many.
Interesting. I didn't plant those things in the gravel - they just grew out of the gravel. I also originally ripped them off the top of the leaves since it seems contrary to the existence of the ferns that these things would grow off the ferns. Good to know about the wysteria and what is weird is that it's all growing from about 2-3 inches above the roots area and from places where it branches out of the main branch. Thanks for the responses.

smaug
03-01-2008, 04:12 AM
yup,thats all totally normal.