PDA

View Full Version : Fish Disease

Fenix
02-29-2008, 07:53 PM
Whats the disease where theres this white string attached to my fish? How do i get rid of it?

cocoa_pleco
02-29-2008, 08:05 PM
thats a slime disease usually found on clownfish

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/ichparasiticdiseases/a/aabrooklynella.htm

jbeining75
02-29-2008, 08:06 PM
It is probably anchor worm. Treatment for anchor worm is a potassium permanganate bath. I would isolate the fish in a quarentine tank and dose him... Google potassium permanganate..most pond stores would have it.... This stuff is deadly toxic if used to much. Never go over the recommended dose. It will turn your water extremely dark and will kill all bacteria in the tank. If you have a filter running on the quarenteen tank I would take it out and run it on the main tank to prevent all the bacteria in your filter from dying. Alot of people will do baths in buckets to prevent the unneded killing of bacteria in there tanks......

cocoa_pleco
02-29-2008, 08:08 PM
its actually not anchor worm on the fish, its oodinium

Fenix
02-29-2008, 08:10 PM
How long do i keep it in the bath for?

jbeining75
02-29-2008, 08:12 PM
Oodinium is a whiteish slime coat that covers the body. He is looking at a string hanging off his fish right??? Fenix can you get a picture of it.....????

Fenix
02-29-2008, 08:18 PM
Oodinium is a whiteish slime coat that covers the body. He is looking at a string hanging off his fish right??? Fenix can you get a picture of it.....????

I actually cant at the moment.

Its a white string hanging from the bottom of the fish.

jbeining75
02-29-2008, 08:22 PM
How long do i keep it in the bath for?

A bath of 2mg/l for around 4 hours is normal. You have to watch the fish though very carefully. Have some extra water close to the bath bucket incase any adverse actions start to happen. This med hurts their gill functions so watch for heavy breathing or larthargicness (spelling).. If so dillute with tank water immediately..... I have read some will do 10mg/l for 30 minutes but I'm not sure about that. That seems a little strong to me..... I'd treat him once a week at 2 mg/l potassium permanganate for 4 hours or so..... Make sure it is anchor worm first though..... If you have any pics it would help.....

Fenix
02-29-2008, 08:38 PM
I just got off hte phone from my LFS and they told me to ignore it.

jbeining75
02-29-2008, 09:06 PM
I hope they are right. They may know exactually what it is. Iti s hard to determine without a pic... Whatever it is good luck with it and hope it clears up.....

RainMan
02-29-2008, 09:14 PM
Is it a white fecal tube? You said, "Hanging from the bottom of the fish" Well, that's the first thing I thought. String... bottom of the fish... poop?

Is the stomach swollen? Could be a parasite... or the fish has been eating white paint. I def. wouldn't ignore it.

Fenix
02-29-2008, 09:35 PM
Yeah i think it was crap cause its gone now. GOod thing!

jbeining75
02-29-2008, 09:37 PM
haha he might just be constipated.... lol That option completely flew straight over my head....

RainMan
03-03-2008, 04:23 PM
I think I got lucky. Probably all of those years trying to understand my mom's questions about her fish. You have to really read between the lines with her. :)